Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Things I Hate Today...

Posted by Christine

Should I have a better attitude? You bet. Here it is day two of 2007. A fresh start, time to be thinkin’ positive. Right?

Oh, yeah. Sure. Until I begin pondering my upcoming plane trip to Vegas to plot (books, people—not murder. Honest.) with Susan, Maureen and Terry Southwick. I can’t wait to get there.

But that’s the hitch: getting there.

I have to fly to get there. Flying nowadays is the closest an ordinary, law-abiding American woman is going to get to being in prison. I believe Dave Berry just said that in a recent column. I’m with Dave. You can’t even take water on a plane anymore.

Now, yes, I know. National Security is a top priority these days and things could be worse. Can’t they always?

After all, since the last time I flew, you can now take your lipstick on the plane with you. Oh, I am so relieved. Dehydrated, but with fine, glossy lips, I’ll arrive in Las Vegas. I’ll keep my mind on that, I guess. Lookin’ good is something, after all.

And beyond the not-so-friendly friendly skies, I also hate that for a writer, a book takes so long to be “done.” I did finally type The End on my latest. Now I have to go through and clean that puppy up before I can drop it in the chute to wing its happy way to Manhattan. And after the manuscript goes in? It comes back. For line edits and later for galleys. I do like that I get a couple more passes at it. I want it to be as good as I can make it when it arrives on the shelves where readers will be putting down their hard-earned cash for it. So I suppose I need to focus on that, on excellence as a way of life, on how I always want to write the very best book I can-- rather than gritching on how manuscripts are like boomerangs: they won’t stop coming back.

What else? Frankly, a thousand things. But for today, the flying and the boomerang books are enough.

What about you? Hate anything today? Come on, you know you do…

6 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

I hate getting up! This morning everyone went back to school (Surfer Guy is a high school teacher) and I had to get up early and make the lunches. It really wasn't so bad today, since I slept with one eye open (if you know what I mean) knowing I would have to get up earlier than my holiday self was used to, but later this week it will be baaaad.

Vegas will be great, though, Chris! At least there's something to look forward to at the end of your airplane adventure.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Susan!! Water, I can buy water???

Okay, my day is so made. No more complaining--well, at least not on the next ten minutes or so. ;)

Christie, yeah. I hate getting up, too. I miss my holiday sleep schedule already.

Maureen, I mean hello. That's sad when a person doesn't even want to fly to Europe anymore...

 
At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Things I hate...

1. people that act like they have never seen snow--and drive accordingly. UGH

2. the fact that my kids didn't want to get up this morning...dressing my 3 year old was like trying to dress a wolverine.

3. I went to the store twice over the weekend, and couldn't find a copy of "Sizzling"--tried to compensate myself with "Not another New Years Eve" Couldn't find it either!

(#3 was complicated by aforementioned snow making transportation to a different store tricky at best)

I have hope for tomorrow!

Have a good day ladies!

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I don't HATE things but my new lifestyle has it's moments! LOL

Flying isn't one of my favorite things either but I'm looking forward to a trip to San Diego this spring and I'm flying so by the time I get back I will HATE all the security measures!

You ladies will have a wonderful time I'm sure. Try and win big, too!

Today is my baby boy's birthday, he was born 4 minutes after midnight, he's always been a "hard to get up" kid but he's a grown man with a family of his own now so I don't have to worry about getting him up anymore. Hard to believe he's as old as he is! I must have be a very young child when he was born too! LOL

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

I hate that I don't have a plot group to go to! *g*

I hated waking up and going back to work after 10 days off!!

Congrats on getting the book out, Chris!! I know you'll have a ball in Vegas, baby!!

Ugh on the weather, Susan.

Wolverine, Kim? LOL

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Kim, may all your books be there when you want them. May bad snow drivers get outta the way. May the kids get back into their regular sleep rhythms and forget the Wolverine look. And in the meantime, big hugs!

Barb, happy birthday to your son! Getting a little teary-eyed thinking of it. And hey, you can take water on the plane. Things could be worse, right?

Right???

Susan, Las Vegas sun comin' right up--we hope!

Kate, yes. Plot groups are totally wonderful. Especially when using the Mallery Method. I resisted. I had waning issues. What a fool I was!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home