Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Friday, December 29, 2006

The Many Faces of Eve


New Year’s Eve, that is.


I’ve done it all, I think. At first it was those party-hearty New Year’s at a bar wearing a goofy hat. We then moved on to New Year’s with a group of friends that included nice clothes, good food, too much booze for our usual little-drinking selves. We’d wake up in the morning in our sleeping bags at the host’s house and take our amateur hangovers home with us. Next came our move to a house and then kids and we started hosting a neighborhood-wide New Year’s party. We’d roll up the living room rug and dance, kids would scamper up and down the stairs, no one would have to worry about driving home.

Then one New Year’s Day I woke up to a huge mess and decided I was done with that for a while. Worried about people just showing up on our doorstep, we grabbed the kids, a few other families, and took off for the beach as the sun went down. Appetizers, boxes of fire fuel, and blankets were trucked out of the cars and to a fire ring on the sand. It was a glorious way to spend New Year’s Eve night, ending with burning the previous year’s Christmas tree (I used this real-life experience in my book Must Love Mistletoe). We would get home way before midnight, but feel we’d done something special. It became our new tradition.

But then we were rained out one year. The next everyone had a bad cold. And so we stayed home and did nothing two years running. And it was good. Very good.

Son 1 is talking about having a New Year’s gathering this year. Okay. I’ll vacuum, get the ice, stock up on sodas. But don’t count me in for the countdown. I have Maureen’s Beyond the Boardroom to read, as well as Susan’s The Unexpected Millionaire and her latest single title, Sizzling (I just bought it yesterday!). I’m planning on settling in my room with some cheese, crackers, white wine, and my books. Happy New Year to me, indeed.

What about you? What are your New Year’s Eve plans?

P.S. I have a book out too, and the title captures my current feelings about the date--it's called Not Another New Year's. I tried to upload a cover image, but blogger has foiled me again! I hope you'll look for it.

6 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Oh, yeah. I'm all stocked up with excellent DD reading material for the long weekend.

Yay for holidays!

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

We go with the quiet New Year's eve at my house, too. Find a bottle of fabulous champagne, cook an elegant little meal, watch a movie...and try to wake up in time to see the ball drop!

Never have gone to the Rose Parade and never will, but it's absolutely required watching first thing New Year's Day.

And I'll be going to the bookstore this weekend to pick up Christie's and Susan's books! Yippee!!

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

All right, Kate, what are you cooking? I like to cook but I usually just buy appetizers for New Year's Eve.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciates a quiet night!

 
At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We used to go out to parties, but now we usually go to a motel. We take our son with us so he can go swimming. Jan 1st is our anniversary. I got both Susan and Christie's books yesterday, haven't started on them yet. Happy New Year..

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Pat L. said...

Christie, I just bought Not Another New Year's and got Must Love Mistletoe for a Christmas gift. Look forward to reading them soon.

I loved Sizzling by Susan. See my post day before this one I think.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

Thanks, Pat! I hope you enjoy both my holiday books.

Also please note everyone that I changed the Sizzling cover. I'd taken it from the Barnes & Noble site and it's the wrong cover there! So now the right one is up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home