Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Friday, October 13, 2006

Reading This Can Save You Money



Yes, reading this can save you money

Really.

Here’s the deal. I have been reading a lot lately and been making headway in my TBR stack. Oh, what fun it’s been! I have a lot of books in my pile (well, they’re in book bags in my office) and I just blindly picked one to read last Saturday afternoon.

I’d been to the gym, I’d showered, Surfer Guy and Son 1 and Son 2 were around doing their thing, but not needing me. So I had my corner chair, my chubby paperback, and complete peace…or so I thought.

Thirty pages into the book I was reading, I had to get up. I had to get up and go to my bathroom mirror. I had to get up and go to my bathroom mirror and from my make-up drawer I had to pull out a lipstick. I then carefully and critically applied said cosmetic to my lips. That’s right. I had to get up from reading a book to put on lipstick!

I wasn’t reading a romance. Instead, this was a thick woman-y tome about someone who takes Pilates (like I do) and is a writer (like I am) and who loves her children (ditto) and who really is an all-around great person yet still is dumped by…take a guess…the numbskull she shares a bed with who is having a mid-life crisis.

If it had been after five, it might have driven me to drink. Instead, I’m suddenly slapping on the lip plumper and wielding the mascara wand because the author’s made me doubt marriage and true love and has totally ruined my Saturday afternoon. I pulled out hairspray. Tweezers. Wondered if I should run out to find some horribly uncomfortable teddy instead of the soft tee that I prefer to sleep in.

And then it really hit me. A romance novel never makes me run to the mirror. A romance novel doesn’t make me doubt that I can maintain a romantic relationship with a partner (or that a romantic relationship with the male of the species is worth having at all, because believe me, after reading thirty pages of this book, I was thinking of moving to a cottage where I would live alone with cats). A romance novel makes me smile, not snarl.

I finished the woman-y tome and I wore make-up the rest of the weekend. But you can bet the next book I picked wasn’t a blind choice. I’m reading a delicious historical romance right now and all’s right with my world. So forget the dash to Sephora or Victoria’s Secret. You don’t need to spend bucks to feel beautiful and believe in true love. Go to your To Be Read pile, pick out a romance. Or if you have to spend money, take that trek to your local bookstore. But if you’re having a bad day, or a bad week, or just need a reminder of what it’s like to “Multiply life by the power of two,”* pick up a romance. You’ll feel pretty while you read it, I promise.

I’m ready to replenish my TBR stack, so help. What are you reading right now?

*From a song that captures the best parts of a long-term romantic relationship, “The Power of Two” by the Indigo Girls, on their CD 1200 Curfews.

13 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh.
Yum.

 
At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished getting my hair cut and colored and what is better than being pampered for 2 hours, but then to bring along a good book and enjoy the me time. I'm currently reading a really good one - Susan's newest "The Substitute Milllionaire" Very good. Definately loving the hero. Another suggestion, if you enjoy historicals, I just finally picked up Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series. I have read 7 of the eight and loved them. Not all of them were great, but several were and none were stinkers. As for the womany tome, maybe it should find its way to the goodwill pile.

Cady

 
At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished "True Colors" by Diana Palmer. Very good.

Have a great fall day ladies!

Kim

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Just finished re-reading the first two books in Nora's new trilogy, MORRIGAN'S CROSS and DANCE OF THE GODS. Oh my God. The woman is both inspiring and humbling!!

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

Cady: Okay, putting Susan's title on my list. I've read several of Julia Quinn's Bridgerton books. They're fun. What's not fun...I also had my hair cut and colored (yesterday) and, um, there's these odd red streaks in there. Even the hairstylist looked dismayed. I think they were supposed to be a more golden-coppper instead of copper-magenta. Son 2 thinks it's for Halloween and that it's cool--like how he has black and orange bands on his braces for the season.

I'm pretty depressed about it and am trying to decide whether I live with it or go back and get it fixed. In the meantime, I am getting me some good reading. Oh, yeah, Kim, Diana Palmer should be a good distraction.

Christine is tempting me with the Singh book too. It's paranormal?

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

Hah. Maureen we cross-posted. I do love Nora's books so I'll have to get those. They are definitely paranormal, I know. Have been reading a lot of that lately. Is your Nocturne book coming out soon?

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Christie, hugs on the hair.

Yep. Slave to Sensation is paranormal. Very hot. She's from a race that denies all emotion. He's a changeling leopard--they live to feel. Did I say Yum?

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Right now I am reading Merline Lovelace's Nov Silhouette Intimate Moments (soon to be called Silhouette Romantic Suspense) called CLOSER ENCOUNTERS...it is wonderful! Set on Catalina Island it's centered around a big band singer who died in 1941...and her spirit and the heroine become very close...too funny!

Just finished Catherine Mann's FULLY ENGAGED (another SIM/SRS)...she has the best military heroes!! Yum!

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Oooh. Christyne, that Lovelace book sounds yummy........

And Christie, I don't know. Magenta? LOL...I hate having my hair done. Never comes out the way I want it to!

Yep, my first Nocturne comes out the beginning of November. Dont' worry, I'll remind everybody!

And Nora's are definitely paranormal and fabulous! A witch, a wizard, a shapeshifter, a vampire??? what's not to love??

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

Christie - more hugs on the hair. I would go back immediately and get it the way you want it. You'll feel better and the hairdresser shouldn't charge you! I went strawberry blond once and as far as I'm concerned, my face disappeared. lol. I went back the next day.

The best "woman-y fiction" I've read in a while are "Something Borrowed" and "Something Blue" by Emily Giffin, and "Good Grief" by Lolly Winston. They were all fabulous. Other than that, I'm strictly a romance girl!

Ooops, forgot to add Stephanie Plum! Okay, other than that, I'm strictly a romance girl! *g*

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

Okay, I'm thinking I'm going to have to get the hair fixed. My niece showed up unexpectedly last night (she's a college student and was at a party in the area) and I forgot to get her take on it! I don't think I can trust the guys in my house.

Great book suggestions, everyone. Thanks. It rained here last night and looks like it might be cool and kinda rainy today. Perfect weather for book reading!

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Carol M said...

I'm reading Black Rose, the second book in Nora's In the Garden Trilogy. I waited until I had all three books so I could read them one after the other.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

Carol: I read that Nora trilogy and really enjoyed it. Her writing is so smooth and compelling to read at the same time. I'm going out for the first two of this next trilogy Maureen is raving about today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home