Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Monday, October 09, 2006

The Casting Couch

Posted by Kate

Even though voting starts one week from today, I wouldn’t dream of blatantly promoting the fact that I’m a finalist in the American Title Contest with my book, THE KAMA SUTRA CHRONICLES! It would be wa-a-ay too transparent and painfully obvious that I was trying to get you to vote for me starting next Monday, October 16 at the Romantic Times magazine website.

That would be wrong. I would never do that. Never, never, never!

Instead, I want to play the casting call game! So...who would I cast as the hero and heroine in THE KAMA SUTRA CHRONICLES? My heroine is Gracie, a studious, strait-laced librarian and book curator. Sure, she loves books, but she’d love to meet a man, too, especially since she found a rare edition of the Kama Sutra in a second-hand shop and her fantasies started working overtime. I love the character of Ursula in George of The Jungle. She’s got a touch of Gracie in her, but she’s also a bit too much of a damsel in distress. (Blogger won't let me post the picture I picked out but suffice to say the photo I chose was all about Brendan Fraser and not so much Ursula!)

My Gracie is smart and self-reliant and is teaching herself Tae Kwon Do. So I’ve decided to go with Helen Hunt, a fabulous actress who has the ability to appear both self-reliant and vulnerable. These are great shots of her, aren't they?




And now for my hero. Cane Winslow is a secret agent, a man on a mission. He has no time for love or commitment. He’s a no-nonsense tough guy who’s not here to fool around. That’s his story, anyway, and he’s sticking to it. Gosh, who else could play that role but…James Bond! But which one? Sean? Pierce? The new guy? Nope. My hero's got dark hair. Sean? Pierce? Sean? Pierce? It's the age-old question.

Or...what about...oh yeah!















Hey, it's my fantasy!! Get your own!!

So who do you have in mind to play your favorite hero and heroine? Do you ever play the casting couch--er, casting call game? Do you like to use photos of real people in order to develop your characters?

11 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Oooh, Kate. Great pictures. But who could ever choose between Pierce and Johnny??

As for me, in my last Nocturne finished, I had the hero as a young Antonio Banderas...not bad at all. The heroine was more like Sandra Bullock....interesting match.

Funny how sometimes it's easier to get a handle on your characters when you can put a face to the name.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Kate, even though you'd never ask anyone to vote for you, I need a link, just in case I...want to vote for you. Which I do. I get nowhere on the RT site. And I'm even a subscriber with a password and everything. So...

How 'bout a link, baby? Or at least instructions on where to go.

And yes! I cast my H/h's and I actually have a casting *wall* where I pin up pics of them. If they don't behave, I play darts on them. Mwahaha. Just kidding...

I love all your pictures of your heroine and hero...er, heroes...

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Okay, I really must learn to be less impatient. So...next week we'll be able to vote on RT, correctemundo???

Sheesh. Somebody shoot me.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

LOL Chris! I know, I keep waiting for the RT site to post a message about the contest, but so far, nothing. Maybe I dreamed the whole thing up...

Okay, I don't think so. But the second I get the link, I'll post it everywhere in the known universe!

Ooh, Maureen. Antonio Banderas!! Yum!!

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

A little birdie told me about RT and I've marked my calendar. My choice would be Pierce.

Best of luck on the contest!

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I often hear authors talk about casting couches, but as a reader I don't really try and figure out who would be a "good Roarke" for example. Roarke is Roarke, if I think of him as Colin Farrel or Johnny Depp, it changes the character for me. Now I know a lot of readers do this, but for me the characters are themselves.

(Which is why I rarely like a movie from a book, the person they have play them never works as well as the made-up person in my mind.)

Cady

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

Hi Marilyn -- I can't imagine who that little bird would be! *g* Thanks for the good thoughts!

Cady, I know what you mean about being disappointed with books turned into films. When I found out they were casting Tom Hanks for the Da Vinci Code, I just about flipped! I saw that character completely different, more of a Harrison Ford type, a la Professor Indiana Jones! *g* But they didn't ask me...darn it.

And I've never been able to put an actor's face to Roarke. He's one of a kind and he lives inside my happy little brain!!

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Cady, you're absolutely right. If they ever do make a movie of one of the In Death books, I won't like whoever they've got as Roarke. He'd never measure up to what's in my head!

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

I don't picture their faces all that clearly. Not, at least, to find an exact casting call replica. I do cut out pix, but often it might be a dress, or piece of jewelry, shoes. I have a magazine ad of a guy sitting in a chair... the guy himself doesn't matter, it's the way he sits that reminds me of my hero!

Kate, I can't wait until next week. This is so exciting!

Um, and may I also say I ADORE Roarke and can't imagine who they would cast as him. It would be a huge disappointment to me, I think, whoever it was.

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm new at blogging and I've created one of my own. I've posted about you and the contest! Hope it helps.

Marilyn

Romance Author Buzz: http://romance-author-buzz.blogspot.com

 
At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GREAT pics, thanks for the eye candy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home