Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Friday, September 08, 2006

Christie's Life List

This TV season, Ellen DeGeneres's talk show will focus on "life lists" which are nothing more than an itemization of things you still want to accomplish. They don't have to be scary--just things that you want to be sure to do. I thought sharing four of mine might tell you more about me.

1. Make my living writing books.
Yeah, I already do that, but it's something I have to work at every day. And hey, even though I've been published for over a decade, I don't have the vet credentials of Christine, Maureen, and Susan. To date, I've sold over 25 books to Silhouette, Harlequin, and Avon Books. I write contemporary romance, California style. To me, that means warm and sexy, funny yet emotional.

2. Live in a tropical place.
Okay, I reside in San Diego and I've never lived more than a dozen miles from a beach. But I loooove warm water, and the Pacific Ocean is chilly around here! I love vacationing in Mexico and Hawaii and someday I'd like to actually live in a place--not just visit--that has sand and warm water.

3. Learn to play bridge.
I've been procrastinating on this one. I have friends who want to learn too, and my husband kinda knows how to play. But I have a guess as to why I'm stalling. You see, it used to be that I thought I was quite a good card player. Then I met my husband. Then I had these two sons who seem to have inherited his skills. When I play them, I never win. Of course, maybe that's because every time we sit around a table with a new (to me) game, there invariably comes a moment when they say, "Oh, um, we forgot to tell you this part..." and then they proceed to decimate me. Do you think they do this on purpose?

4. Own beautiful home decorations for each holiday.
I love my home and I love decorating for holidays! But somehow or other I have ended up with some quite tacky items that my kids have become so attached to that it's not Halloween without Mom putting on the front door the life-size Frankenstein head that growls when you get nearby. My good friend has beautiful glass pumpkins she sets out for Halloween...I have The Head.

But I confess... Last spring I bought on sale an inflatable 12-foot tall Thanksgiving turkey. Does this say "woman willing to give up tackiness" to you?

What's on your life list? Share the first thing that comes to mind. Remember, it doesn't have to be anything scary--like ownership of a 12-foot, butt-ugly plastic turkey.

7 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

Grr! How to upload a picture? It was a beach scene. Can we all use our imaginations?

Christie

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

What a great idea. I'll start working on my list, but first...Christie, I'm totally coveting the growling Frankenstein head! All we've got in terms of strange holiday decor is a large, demented Christmas snowman. He hangs on the wall and he's mute but his beady little eyes follow you around the room. We can't give him away because my mother-in-law crocheted it especially for me. Scary, right?

I'm imagining the beach scene. It's beautiful!

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Christie, I need eerie music here. My list has been startlingly similar to yours. With similar results. You should see my halloween decor. The headless things with sheets hanging from them that take aa batteries and screech endlessly when kiddies come on the porch...oh, my!

I have yet to live in a place even vaguely resembling tropical...

And I did learn to play bridge last year. At last. Not very good at it, but I did learn...

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

LOVE the list, Christie!! Mine is much like yours...well, okay, not a lot. I do make my living writing, don't play cards and I'm so tired of living in So CA!!

My big life list wish...to live six months of the year in Ireland. I could be really happy doing that!!

Ah, and my favorite Halloween decoration?? Blinking eyes you stick on the front windows..they glow orange and yellow and green!!

Where'd you get the turkey?? do they have more???

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

I bought my turkey at...Sav-on, maybe? It was $9! It's huge. I was in there buying make-up and the lady in front of me in line had one and it just seemed like I must MUST get one of my own.

I do have one nice Halloween thing, Susan! I have this great witch that I put on my entry table. However, to see her you have to first get past The Head.

Christie

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi ladies,

Life List:

1) Get published in romance fiction!

2) Take ballroom dancing (while I love "Dancing with the Stars" this dream is thanks to a life long love for Astaire and Rogers!) Since my hubby refuses to even think about lessons, I guess I am going to have a young, sexy, ah oh...find a partner!

3) Jump out of an airplane (with a parachute!)

4) Visit the following: Buckingham Palace, London, The Grand Wailea Resort Hotel & Spa, Maui and the city of my birth, Taipai Taiwan (okay, I was already there once but left when I was two!)

Holiday decorations...luv 'em! Christmas is my fav! I have a "Christmas In The City" village from Dept 56 that got started seven years ago when my former boss got me and hubby one of the buildings as a weddding present. My hubby loves it too...he's got at least one built-in gift each year!

A 12 foot turkey? Okay, we WILL see pictures of that, right?

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

Christyne: Hi! Love your list except for the jumping part. Too scary for me. I took ballroom dancing with my (now) husband when we were in college. It was so much fun.

It's not the same, of course, but my kids gave me Dance Dance Revolution for Christmas last year. So now I dance with my TV screen!

And yes, I think I'll have to inflate that turkey just so I can post a picture of it.

Christie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home