Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Blog Envy

Posted by Kate

I admit I’m a little obsessed with blogging right now. I had just started doing it on my own when I was honored and thrilled to be dragged into this fabulous group and, well, okay, I’m feeling the stress. I’ve promised myself I'll produce four or five blog entries a week and I don’t know if I can do it! I’ve got a life, you know! Things to do! Like, I’ve got a manuscript that’s waiting for a new chapter, and there’s the dreaded day job I’m supposed to show up for every damn day, and—who is that man insisting I join him for dinner? Oh, husband. Right. I’ve got one of those.

But lately I’ve been spending most of my time checking out other group blogs, looking for helpful hints and interesting styles of blogging—for instance, do we all blog a little every day? Do we each have our own day? Do we comment on each other’s entries? I know I’ll snap out of it and get back to living a normal life, but right now, I’m on a mission. And I must say, I’m impressed with all the group blogs out there, and while I certainly have found a number of helpful hints on how to do this group blog thing, what I’ve mostly came away with is...blog envy.

For one thing, some of them have very cool names. My current favorite name is The Good Girls Kill for Money Club, a group blog featuring five female mystery writers. I also really like their layout and their glam author photos. And one of the members regularly posts a new cocktail recipe. I’m so jealous! If I start reciting cocktail recipes, we’ll just blame it on the fact that my husband is a bartender and not on my pathetic need to be as sophisticated as the Good Girls.

Some have the coolest contributors. You’re blog people. You know who they are. Word Wenches, Squawk Radio, Running with Quills. We’re talking Superstars. I’m such a fan! And if you’re into mystery, you probably check out The Lipstick Chronicles and The Outfit and Murderati on a regular basis. I particularly enjoy some mystery writer group blogs because everyone seems so hip and intellectual. Just an aside—it took me four tries to type “intellectual” correctly, so no, I won’t be a guest blogger on those sites anytime soon.

And with some group blogs, well, I just wish I were a member of the group. Like Babes in Bookland, Murder She Writes, The Writers Vibe. All very cool people in these groups, and I want to be blogging with them, too. But who has time? And they didn’t ask me! That’s okay, I love them, and someday we’ll all hold hands and blog together. Although…difficult to type holding hands. So okay, maybe we’ll just think good thoughts.

Next week, I’ll share more of my obsession with group blog names. Take for instance, The Writers Vibe. Do you think that’s the first name they came up with or did they originally call themselves “Three Hot Brunettes?” And Squawk Radio? Brilliant yet disturbing! What does it mean? More about that later. Right now, my husband is insisting I join him for dinner. Such a demanding man. In the meantime, I’m curious. What do you think of group blogging? Which ones are your favorites? Do you like short entries or long stories? And do you like them aimed toward writers or readers?

14 Comments:

At 7:33 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Okay, Kate. Snap out of it. This is beyond blog envy and all the way to blog obsession.

Then again, you're a writer. It's required that you obsess. Might as well be on blogs as there truly are some great ones out there.

I like group blogs with beefcake. A lot. Simply because I'm shallow and prone to objectifying men.

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

Beefcake! Yes! That'll be the title of Part Three in the series known as "The Obsession That Consumed My Life!"

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Blog Envy is a sad thing to see... sigh...especially when it's completely obvious that WE have the best title!!! =)

How do you FIND all these blogs, anyway? Color me impressed!

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Oh my gosh, you crack me up, Kate!

Watch out or we just might steal you for The Writer's Vibe. But then again, your fellow writers at the Deadline Diaries will have something to say about that...And Maureen has minions to carry out her orders...Okay, scratch that plan.

You guys have a darn fine group and a fantastic name, so just stop with the blog envy, Kate. :-)

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

Yes, clearly we are brilliant and our blog title was pure genius!!

And don't you think that the ability to obsess on any given subject is the sign of a true artist? For instance, roof obsession. I can relate. When we moved into our house, I started having dreams that the roof was made of rubber and when my husband walked on it, it bounced and stretched out like something from a Salvador Dali painting. Creepy. I had to climb up there just to assure myself our roof wasn't about to melt away.

Hey, I just realized...I'm really weird! :-)

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Yes, Kate. You are really weird. But in a good way.

And Michelle, no. You can't have her. There are other dangerous women here, not only Maureen.

Susan, omg! Roof Obsession. It's the worst. When we first moved in here, nobody had done any repairs to this house since the sixties. It's a fine house, but even a fine house needs upkeep. We had leaks! It was horrible. Eventually we had to have a new roof put on. Yes, another terrible example of Home Improvement Hell. But your house is in faboo condition and I'm sure you'll find no leaks. Get back to those pages. *whip cracking sounds here*

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

I totally agree with the Amazing Ms. Chris!

Kate, your weirdness is one of the reasons we love you!!

And Michele, trust me on this... in the race for dangerous women in this group--it's a very tight contest! LOL Although, now that I think about it, I AM the only one with a Minion!! Hear that, Jen??

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Mwahaha, Maureen. And it's true. The rest of us are minion-challenged.

Michele, I hate people who mispell names. What, moi? But I got right this time... ;)

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Jennifer Lyon said...

Kate, you're cracking me up. Blog envy is a heck of a lot better than penis envy. Ooops, can I say that here? It's Maureen's fault, she's supposed to keep me in line!

You do know that The Writer's Vibe gals go by the code name of Charlie's Angels right?

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate, great post!

The Good Girls Who Kill would love to have you come join us for a Virtual Cocktail Party!!!!

And Deadline Diaries is a fabulous name!

 
At 5:55 AM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

We've had a Good Girl sighting!! Hi, Tasha! I'm so honored you stopped by and hell yeah, I'll be there for cocktails!

I love your website! Can you tell?? *g*

Hey, Jen, don't be bringing that potty mouth over here! If you can't say Manroot Envy like the rest of us, I'm gonna have to call Maureen.

Charlie's Angels, huh? Okay, that works. They're just way too cute, aren't they?!

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Jennifer Lyon said...

Ah, Kate, do I have to say "Manroot envy" with a straight face? No can do...

Don't send Maureen after me! I'll be good! I'll say, umm, Manrod Envy. Or uhh, Love Spear Envy...I have to stop before I hurt myself :-)

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

Manrod?! LOL! You crack me up, Jen!

And I like your witch!

 
At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this. Believe it or not this is my first visit to a blog site. I've enjoyed reading all the comments and look forward to meeting and making new friends in the cyber world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home