Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Champagne, Anyone?

Um, pardon me, but would you mind popping open some virtual champagne?

Because I have some news to share. Good news.

Reeeeeallly good news.

I have an agent.

Yes. Last week I signed an Agency Agreement with a wonderful New York literary agency. The best agency ever. In the world. Probably in the universe.

And it's all I can do to keep from bursting into freakish happy dancing!! Because we all know how dangerous I can get when that happens. But let’s all pretend I'm dancing!! Gliding, laughing, shrieking, running through the halls jumping, clicking my heels! Wheeeeee!!!!

Oof. Falling down.

Nope, I’m okay. Don't worry, just a little limp.

But woohoo anyway!!!!!

Champagne for all my friends!!!

Because this is big fat happy news!!! In fact, considering the long, winding and ridiculous road I took to get here, you might say it's the best news ever! EVER!!

I suppose you want to hear the "call story," right? I always want to hear the call story.

I don't do a lot of "writer's journey" blogs, probably because my journey has been wa-a-ay too long and twisted with lots of ups and downs and missed opportunities and...well, seriously, who cares anymore? Or so I thought. Turns out, most of us are always dying to hear about the foibles and stumblings of others traveling this often insane, always neurotic road to publication.

So okay, here's my story. I’ll make it quick because I’m not getting any younger and I’ve gotta go write some more books.

Ultimately, I owe it all to the divine Susan Mallery, who invited me along to her agency party at the RWA conference in Atlanta and introduced me to her agency’s fabulous agents. It was a wonderful party, an afternoon tea, and when I wasn’t being introduced to her agency’s lovely agents, I was staring in awe and excitement at her agency’s fabulous clients – including the divine Susan, of course.

(And okay, yes, jeez, I was also drooling over all those miniature pecan pies and yummy desserts. The whole affair was pretty wonderful.)

The next day, I had an appointment to pitch to the very same lovely and brilliant Ms. Agent I’d met at the party the day before and she invited me to send two partials to her. Later, she asked for the full manuscripts, and then another full manuscript of another book, and then a partial of another book…

And then I missed her call.

But okay, eventually, we talked, we emailed, we signed, and woohoo!!!

Pass some more of that champagne, will ya? I'm getting a little parched.

So yes, I’m still spinning from the news! (Carefully, with both hands holding onto the arms of my chair.) And yes, I know how lucky I am. Let’s face it, we’re all waiting for the planets to align before the right project hits the right agent’s desk who happens to have the right editor in mind and...it’s exhausting to think about, isn’t it?

And in the end, I know my writing was good enough that my fabulous agent was willing to represent me, but it certainly didn’t hurt to have a little “divine” intervention in the form of my friend Susan Mallery. The fact is, I have a lot of truly divine friends in this business. I know I wouldn't be here today if I didn't.

In fact, I don’t know anyone luckier than me! Woohoo!!!!!


So now I want to hear your stories. That first call from an agent, how did you feel? How did you celebrate? Or if you’re still waiting for the call, I’ll bet you’ve got a plan about how you’ll celebrate the moment, right? (I’ll admit, I had a special bottle of champagne reserved for the moment!)

8 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Where is that pesky FanGirl when we need a little CHEERING??? You absolutely DO have the best agent in the freaking Universe, Kate! Because she KNOWS how good you are!!!

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Oh, yeah. The best. The absolute best! Wahoo and major congrats!

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

Yeah, Kate! Congratulations. And now that other big call is just ahead!

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Michele said...

Wooooo-hooooooo!!!!!

Go, Kate! That's such fantastic news! Yay!

I'll take a sip of the ole bubbly. Love the kind that doesn't give ya a headache afterward, too! Even better. :-)

Congrats!!

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Gina Black said...

Congrats!! Fabulous news, dahlink, absolutely fabulous.

 
At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! Yay, you!

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations Kate!!! Great call story...thanks for sharing and for the bubbly!!

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

Blogger wouldn't let me back in all day yesterday, up until a few minutes ago. Damn blogger! Just because I spilled a little champagne...I know, don't waste the alcohol. Cardinal sin in my house. Sorry.

But thanks everybody, for the good wishes!! I guess you can tell I'm very happy and excited about the news!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home