Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Nothin' like a Christmas Song...


Posted by Christine


It’s that time of year again. You know what I mean. We’ve been discussing the season at length here on DD. Ho-ho-ho and all that jazz.

Here in Sooner country, our local pop radio station, 104.7 on your dial, switches to all-Christmas-all-the-time the week of Thanksgiving. And I listen. Oh, yes, I do. I can’t wait to get in the car between November 20th and New Years’ Day. A bounty of Christmas is right there, waiting for me with the punch of a button, and maybe a slight adjustment of the volume dial.

See, I like it loud. Very loud. And it’s not like I don’t get plenty of Yule sounds at home. I’ve been collecting Christmas music since the J was born. As of today, I’ve got 28 Christmas albums, total, in two formats; CD and cassette. I’m loathe to ditch the cassettes, since I’m afraid I won’t find these treasures again. So the holidays are also the one time of year when my old-as-the-J cassette player gets a workout. We are talking the classics, here, folks: Burl Ives’s Have a Holly Jolly Christmas, Willy Nelson’s Pretty Paper and Elvis’s Blue Christmas. How am I going to say goodbye to those?

You guessed it. I’m not!

Plus, every year, I feel it’s my holiday duty to add one more great CD to my collection. Last year it was Diana Krall’s Christmas Songs. Amazing. And this year it’s Bette Midler’s Cool Yule. Love it! I try to hold it to just one a year and I’ve already got Bette…

But.

So I’m driving in my car with the radio on full blast and here comes that Christmas Song that reduces me to a blubbering mass of holiday tears. The Christmas Shoes by Newsong. Heard that one? Don’t listen without a box of Kleenex. I warn you.

In case you’ve missed it, a little boy is buying the perfect shoes for his dying mama. He wants “her to be beautiful. If Mama meets Jesus tonight.” Oh, God. Can you spell s-o-b-b-i-n-g? Because I was. I do. Every time I hear that song. I drive with the tears just running down my face.

No, that poor little boy doesn’t have enough money to pay for them, and yes, the holiday-hardened singer ends up putting his money down so the kid can give his mama her Christmas Shoes… Okay. I need that one. I really, really do….

How ‘bout you? A favorite Christmas song? An album you recommend?

And for your further Christmas pleasure, both Maureen and Susan have Desires on the stands right now.





Check it out at Amazon





















Check it out at Amazon

17 Comments:

At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christine,

Here in Husker land--we also have a radio station that goes all Christmas all the time...its good. I have the same reaction to the Christmas Shoes song...on another note, when leaving the office last night--I heard "Walking 'round in women's underwear"...too funny!

Manheim Steamroller Christmas is the best! Chip Davis is a local person, and the CD's are fabulous! We have seen the Holiday/Christmas shows live in Omaha a couple of times! Out of this world!

Have a "Holly! Jolly" Tuesday!

Kim

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Kim, did you see the game? I've watched every OU game this year as the J is in the Pride. Love those big rivalry games, oh, my! And really, I don't even *Understand* football. Still don't have the concept of "downs" down pat. The J and hunky Mensa man are constantly trying to explain them to me. But you know what? I do get when there's a touchdown!

And I'm so pleased you have a totally Christmas station, too. We all need those.

And yeah! I have Manheim Steamroller Christmas and it is terrific!

LOL on that "Walkin' Round in Women's Underwear Song." I need to hear that after "Christmas Shoes," fershure!

Holly Jolly Tuesday to you, too!

 
At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christine - I love Christmas music too. Unfortunately, one of our three Christmas stations turned on November 1 - a bit early. But at least we have a lot of options. I think one of my favorite Christmas albums is Harry Connick Jr first one. Another good one is Nat King Cole's Christmas album. Both are great.

Cady

 
At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christine,

Yes, I saw most of the game. We are huge FB fans here--of course there isn't much else here-- its pretty much all we have. The boys were watching "Superman Returns"--so dh and I were running back and forth to one of the other TV's. Our outcome wasn't what we had hoped for that is for sure!

We are both NU alumni--so we try to watch them when we can. Can't touch tickets to the games--even when we stink--the Huskers are all there is!

Dh, oldest son and I all play fantasy football--so I guess you would say that I have it pretty well figured out. Of course the 10 year old is in line to win the league this year!

All the best!

Kim

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Kim, I hear you re the FB consciousness. I'm right in Norman and, well, it's the be-all and end-all around here. I kind of love it now when the Sooners win. The whole town seems to light up. That's kewl. Not so much when OU loses...

Cady, hey! EEEuu. 11/1. Pulease. Are they trying to ruin a perfectly good season by stretching it out even longer than most Christmasaholics can bear? I have Nat King Cole--but I'm thinkin' I need the Harry Connick, Jr. Oh, yeah! Thanks.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

We buy a new Christmas CD every year, too, but I still prefer the classics. Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, Perry Como. Love them. And I listen to Loreena McKennitt in my car because the DH doesn't enjoy her as much as I do.

And football? We have plenty of other things to do here in SoCal than watch football, but even I had to watch the USC/UCLA game. It was great! (You couldn't tell I was for UCLA, could ya?)

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Kate, well, we watched the USC/UCLA game, too. It was right before the Nebraska/OU game. Loved that bit about the bell that will now be painted blue...ah, the heartbreak of defeat, the thrill of victory!

I like the Xmas classics, too. Heck. I like'em all! Don't have the Loreena McKennitt one, though. See, that's another I need!

Maureen, it's a pleasure, my dahlink! And, BTW, Maureen and Susan are topping the Walden's series Bestseller list yet again. Check it out on the main RWA site. Here's a link to cut and paste...

https://www.rwanational.org/eweb/dynamicpage.aspx?webcode=Waldenbooks120206

 
At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate - We had to go to a work event, got there early so we stopped for a drink and watched the end of the game, actually ended up a bit late as we weren't leaving until the game was done.

Forgot to mention that I have read both Maureen's and Susan's Desires. Great job both of you. Congrats on the bestseller list.

Cady

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

I'm going out to get those Desires. The covers on both are great! I hope, Maureen, that your heroine's lovely coat is fake fur, however! (Wouldn't I love to have that luscious dress, too, and a place to where it to.)

I must now go find an all Christmas radio station. Surely we have one. But we also have tons of Christmas music as well. Surfer Guy loves the James Taylor Christmas CD.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Christie, I so agree re that red dress Maureen's heroine is wearing. And why don't I have some opera gloves, and a couple of diamond bracelets to wear with them?

And it was a hard call for me this year--between the James Taylor CD and the Bette Midler one.

 
At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite holiday song has to be Martina McBride version of "Oh, Holy Night"...it is amazing!

We've got an oldies station out of Boston that started the Christmas music on Nov 15th...and I've been glued to it every since!

And yes, I got both those Desires on their to me as we speak...with expedited shipping!! They should be on my desk at work by Friday!

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, that's me one comment up -- don't know what happened! LOL!

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Pat L. said...

I too sobbed when I first heard the song. I saw the movie twice on t.v. Donna's other 2 books Christmas Hope and Christmas Blessing were awesome too.

I think my favorites Christmas Songs are Christmas Canon by Transiberian Orchestra and Josh Groban's Oh Holy Night. I just bought Il Divo Christmas CD and their version of Oh,Holy Night is not too shabby.

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Pat and Christyne--OOOoo. More good ones. Thanks. Pat, when I got Bette, the Il Divo one was another I was tempted to choose. Oh, so many good ones. So little CD rack space. Maybe I really do need an iPod. The J says he wouldn't live without his...

Susan, I'm sniffly already--just from the one line you quoted.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Dana Diamond said...

Thanks for telling us about these. I can't wait to get my hands on that Bette Midler.

:) dana

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Hey, Dana!

Yes! The Bette Midler one is excellent.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Maureen, cover is great! Love the red dress!!!!

As for Susan's The Unexpectred Millionaire, it's a wonderful addition to her series.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home