Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Monday, December 04, 2006

Dear Diary, I'm On Deadline!

Posted by Kate

For the first time in years, I didn't enter RWA's Golden Heart contest.

I admit I was happy and looking forward to cruising through the holidays with plenty of time to shop and feast and enjoy the company of my friends and family instead of my usual pattern of frantically writing and re-writing and polishing manuscripts to send off before the December 10th deadline, after which I would crawl to my couch, a shell of my former self, broken and drained and suffering a mini-breakdown complicated by bronchitis or worse.

Ah, those were good days.

But really, I was hoping I might avoid all that this year.

But guess what? I'm on Deadline, people!!!

It's my own fault, really. This deadline is self-imposed. Am I insane? Maybe. But what could I do? I want to sell some books before I die!

So the week before Thanksgiving, I set up a writing schedule with two deadlines. One was to get a 100-page partial out by December 1, and the other was to finish a rewrite of a full manuscript by December 18.

I made that December 1 deadline and it felt really great! And no mini-breakdown! Woo hoo! (And many thanks to Susan and Maureen, my nags--er, my idols!)

Now I'm busting my butt--and fingers and eyeballs and back--to get the second book out by December 18. This will pretty much ruin any chances I might've had of spending quality Christmas shopping time with the rest of the thundering hordes out at the malls. So, thanks to Michele Cwiertny, I found this great gift online. Everybody on my Christmas list is getting one.

The small picture doesn't fully convey the wonder of this gift. It's called "WWBD" or "What Would Bacon Do?"

It's a folder you can use for papers for a business meeting or a class at school. The dial is a piece of bacon you spin when you have a question or get bored during the meeting. Possible answers include "Smoke!" "Taste Good!" "Boycott Tofu!" I'm thinking I might make up my own answers. Oh yes, I'm getting one for myself, too!

My family is going to be so excited with this gift! And I'll be able to make my deadline! It's going to be a very merry Christmas at my house!!!

So, all you Deadline veterans, any suggestions on how to work through the holidays without going insane? And how about gifts? Can you help me find some more great gifts online? I mean, in case they run out of Bacon Folders??

6 Comments:

At 7:27 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Slog on, little Kateling!

It will be all right. Lock the door to your office and have the dh throw in a martini now and then.

Re gifts. Hey, books are always good. Have an online bookstore send them for you with a loving note that you personally typed in when you place your order.

Okay, back to *my* deadline...

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

WTG, Kate, on the self-imposed deadlines. That's discipline. I use them too.

I have a great site you might want to take a look at. Stupid.com. Really. What snagged my attention was these tatoo "sleeves" that you can buy that looks as if you're all tatted up. I'm thinking the boys in my life might get a kick out of them.

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seem to create deadlines for myself but I'm not writing just living LOL I've missed several days but Maureen I'm thrilled I'm not trying to create names for characters I had a hard enough time naming my daughter, my poor son's name was a given and MIL wanted it that way! I get cold just looking at your pic Susan of course now that I live with the inlaws I almost wished it snowed so I could get cold once in a while I's wearing my summer clothes right now and we live in sunny Sacramento CA, speaking of parties like a dummy I invited my children, grandchildren, BIL, his girlfrend, son and his wife for a Christmas dinner with Grandma & Grandpa--there are 15 of us, am I I nuts! Yesterday I spent hours out there with the hordes at the mall and I hate to shop so I'm still pouty today and very tired but I did get several gifts now to wrap them.

 
At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those I's will get me every time LOL yes I'm wearing summer clothes and have a fan on in this home office. My inlaws are ill and in their 80s so it's very warm in this house. I do need to be twins for Saturday too LOL

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

Oh Barbs, I feel your pain with the malls and the people and hello, 15 people for Christmas dinner!!! You're a better woman than I! LOL

Thanks for all the gift ideas. Christie, that site is hilarious and I love those tattoo sleeves! I must have someone I can buy those for, just so I can see them in person. And books are always the perfect gift....and gift cards. Love gift cards. And fun socks.....

Okay, back to work...

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Michele said...

LOL! I'm so happy the Perpetual Kids site helped you out, Kate. Still love the WWBD folders, but there are so many funny things there from which to choose--I don't know that I can. :-)

Good luck with your deadlines!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home