Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Monday, November 06, 2006

Catching Up with Kate

Monday’s my day to blog here at Deadline Diaries and after two days off, I feel like talking a lot. In fact, lately I can't seem to settle on one specific topic to blog about, so I've made a list of possibilities and I'm hoping you'll help me decide.

1. Romantic comedies -- Everyone was talking about scary movies last week, but I'm not a scary movie fan. I like romantic comedies. Goofy, sappy, I love them all. Here are a few of my faves: The Philadelphia Story, Pretty Woman, Bull Durham, Moonstruck, America’s Sweethearts, Legally Blonde, Clueless, What A Girl Wants, Grease, Love Actually, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Notting Hill.

2. American Title contest results -- The results are in and if I told you what they were, I’d have to kill you. Did The Kama Sutra Chronicles make it to the next round? Come back next Monday and I’ll reveal the answer. Meanwhile, thanks so much for your support and your votes. I really appreciate it!

3. Migraine headaches -- Really, I should be writing a migraine blog to help other sufferers because I’ve been dealing with these for too many years. I do have a really good drug that works for me and plenty of advice for anyone who wants to know.

4. Nora’s latest trilogy -- I thought I’d hate it. I mean, Vampires? Come on! But I’m absolutely hooked and I was up until midnight last night, trying to finish book three. At the last minute, I decided to stop, just so I can savor the last two chapters. But oh, my God, how does she do it? She is the goddess.

5. The online class I’m taking -- I absolutely love this class, given by Louise Knott Ahern, possibly the world’s best teacher—or shall I say Drill Sergeant, because after all, the class title is PR Boot Camp. Talk about insecurities! When I did my “Goals” homework--yeah, she gives homework! Isn’t she harsh?? LOL--I thought, Goals? Duh, a book deal! But then I read the published authors' goals and saw that they ran more along the lines of "Hitting the USA Today Bestseller list," "Higher Sell-throughs," "Strong Pre-Orders." Huh? You see my problem. It’s like that old Peanuts cartoon, where Charlie Brown and Schroeder are staring at the clouds and Schroeder says “Look, Charlie Brown, that cloud over there looks like Beethoven composing his Ninth Symphony as the battalion of soldiers rides into the Valley of Death.” And Charlie Brown says, “Oh, I see a duckie.” That’s me. I see a duckie. Sell-through? I’m not even sure what that means.

6. Favorite cocktail recipes -- My current favorite is the gimlet. So simple, so refreshing, it’s 2/3 vodka and 1/3 Rose’s lime juice, with an extra squeeze of lime and lots of ice, shaken not stirred. Tart, like me!

7. Favorite romance euphemisms -- No, it’s not manroot, but that’s a good one. My favorite is mossy grotto. Yeah. Paints a picture, right? I think I first heard that one from Maureen.

So.....What are your favorite euphemisms? Cocktail recipes? Romantic comedies? Sell-through numbers?

12 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

LOL........now, let's be clear. Maureen NEVER actually wrote the words 'mossy grotto'...this was said in a hysterical conversation over different euphemisms we'd heard over the years. My favorite was one my first editor told me she'd read in a manuscript once... "log of love".....ah yes. Quite the image.

As for romantic comedies... AMERICAN DREAMER all time favorite.

And you just can't do better than a Vodka Tonic!!

So Kate, tell us all about the ATIII contest results!! We won't tell a soul. Promise.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

My fave romantic comedy...When Harry Met Sally. Can watch that one over and over.

Had a fab cocktail in the Lake Arrowhead village at Lake Arrowhead this summer. Muy strong margarita made with Patron tequila (and here I thought Jose Cuervo was dandy). Surfer Guy and I each had one and then were worried about boating it home (to in-laws house) across the lake in the dark!

We have since bought all the necessary ingredients, but they don't taste quite as good without that little sunburn we had from a day on the water.

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will have to go with you on "when Harry met Sally"--a classic, I also loved Sleepless in Seattle. I absolutely LOVE "Easter Parade" Fred Astaire and Judy Garland. So cute!

Screwdrivers--and Slow Screws. Yeah, I know...:)

have a lovely November day ladies. :)

Kim

 
At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention Migraines. Used to have them waaaay too frequently. Had a hysterectomy last year--have only had 2 since then. YEAH!

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

LOL...yes I should explain that I didn't read "mossy grotto" in one of Maureen's books! But oh, "log of love"...good one! I'm visualizing Splash Mountain....Good grief, enough of that!

I forgot about American Dreamer! And I own it! Also When Harry met Sally, The American President, I love those.

Christie, they never taste the same when you try them at home, do they? Although...I do live with a bartender, so that helps! *g*

Kim, my SIL had to go through the same thing to get rid of the migraines. Ugh. I had one this weekend that just about flattened me. Always feels like I've crawled out from under a rock when they finally go away.

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that the mossy grotto wasn't yours Maureen, I was a bit scared.

As for Romantic Comedies, I am with you on the Philadelphia Story and When Harry Met Sally, but I also love those action/romance movies, Romancing the Stone, True Lies, etc.

As for Migraines, I rarely got them until after my son, now they seem to follow me.

As for the Nora trilogy, I was so not going to get into this one. I am with you, I am not a big vampire gal and Cian and Moira just didn't seem to do it for me. Of course, there I was crying at lunch the other day as I finished it off. :)

Cady, who doesn't really drink fancy cocktails very often, but loves an icy cold beer - especially on a hot day by the beach or tailgating on a cold fall morning before a football game, or :)

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Mossy grotto and Log of Love. Hard ones to top. LOL.

Fave romantic comedies. Do Natural Born Killers and True Romance count? Har-har.

Cocktail: def the Cosmo. And lately I've found I also like a good martini. Just a plain one. No appletinis or peartinis or anything too fancy. A plain martini, shaken-not-stirred, made with a good quality gin. *hic* Bit I must say, that Slow Screw sounds very interesting...

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good afternoon ladies!

Wow...so many things to comment on today!

1) Romantic comedies -- I love all the ones mentioned! "Return to Me" is a major fav...especially when the hero says "I ache for Grace" (Grace is the heroine!) Great cast in that one! Also love the Meg Ryan trilogy (WHMS, SIS and YGM)

2) Oh come on Kate! Spill about the ATI results! (keeping fingers crossed and typing is tough but I'm doing it!)

3) Migraine -- happy to say I've never had one :::knocking on wood::: but I've had whopper headaches that are close neighbors!

4) Nora's 3 -- nope, haven't picked them up yet. My daughter forbids me too since Christmas is only 7 plus weeks away. My poor family...I'll go on and on about certain books, but then I can't wait and buy them for myself before anyone else can.

me: "Wait? Why wait?"

5) Hmmm...I saw a cloud this weekend that looked like a five pointed star...it was so cool! Does that count?

6) Fav cocktail? Hmmm, I'm a icy cold beer lady too but I enjoy a Hawaiian Seabreeze every now and then.

7) Fav euphemisms? LOL on the "mossy grotto"!

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Wanted to add...

(don't I always???)

Kim, that's fascinating re migraines decreasing after a hysterectomy. I'm guessing...a hormone thing?


Love these Nora stories. Funny, Cady, how a book can grab you sometimes even when you think it hasn't. I just read one (not naming names here) where I loved the opening, enough to keep going during the middle, which sagged. I was glad I did. Wow. I couldn't turn the last 100 pages fast enough!

Christyne, now be good and wait till Christmas!

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

Cady, you made that ice cold beer sound really good!

Hey Christyne, thanks for keeping your fingers crossed for me! I really appreciate it. And what's a Hawaiian seabreeze? Sounds yummy!

Boy it's all about the cocktails with me today. What's up with that?? LOL

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Kate, hugs on the migraine. Just had one last week.

As impossible as it may be to believe, I can now stop the pain from happening after the aura goes away. I still have to go through the throbbing head-rush, audial distortion and losing my clear vision for about 30 minutes. And I still feel the hangover for about 24 hours. But I no longer get the pain or nausea.

Fingers crossed that you are going to the next round of ATIII.

My favorite romance is "Somewhere In Time" with Chris Reeve and Jane Seymour. Another one I love is "Tim", story by Colleen (Thornbirds)McCullough and one of Mel Gibson's very first movies.

Don't have a fave drink any more. I'd rather spend the calories on a hot fudge sundae. ggg Although I have had a Choco-tini that was delicious!

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Dana Diamond said...

Mossy Grotto?!? How does that happen?

As far as movies, hmmm...I love LOVE, ACTUALLY. Usually at midnight in December when I'm wrapping Chrismakkah gifts.

And for my drink of choice, if I want something fluffy I go for a Bellini. They have 'em at Maggiano's at South Coast. I can't get enough of 'em. It's like a peach smoothie with a kick.

Everywhere else it's Jack. Gentleman Jack, if I can get it.

And I can't wait for next Monday!

:) d

 

Post a Comment

<< Home