Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Hurry! Hurry!

you
posted by Maureen

You know that old saying, the hurrier you go the behinder you get??

That describes my life lately.

Had the best of intentions. I was going to stick like glue to the latest schedule that Susan helped me pull together. Then...Worldus Interruptus happened again.

What with the holidays and deadlines and family and another deadline and oh another holiday and still one more deadline... Not that I’m complaining about the deadlines, mind you. I LOVE being employed!!

Still, it’s tempting to just slow it all down once in awhile, isn’t it? Like my little friend there in the picture, I sort of think that slowing down might be the answer.

Maybe I’ll give it a try. After this deadline. Oh, and plot group this weekend. But once I get home, I’ll have two proposals and then another book to write...

Okay, Summer. I’ll try for Summer. After the Fourth of July and family, of course. Oh and then there’s the RWA conference and a deadline right after that.

So maybe Fall. That’d be good. But then there’s football season and family and the holidays again...

Okay. Maybe the answer isn’t how fast or slow you go. But how much you enjoy the journey.

You think?

9 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THE JOURNEY IS ALWAYS THE MOST FUN OF ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVE ENJOYED MY JOURNEY THROUGH LIFE AND AM STILL
DETERMINED TO ENJOY IT EVEN THOUGH I WAKE UP WITH VARIOUS ACHES AND PAINS, I FEEL VERY LUCKY THAT AT 79 YEARS OLD I CAN STILL EXERCISE BY WALKING 2 MILES THREE TIMES A WEEK AND FEEL MUCH BETTER FOR IT.

BESIDES I DON'T WORRY ABOUT YOU AND DEADLINES CAUSE YOU ALWAYS DO EXTREMELY WELL UNDER PRESSURE.

LOVE,
MOM

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Sure mom, rub it in that YOU exercise and I don't!! LOL.......

love you

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

I was gonna say something incredibly witty...but all I really want to say is, just keep writing your fabulous books and we'll all be very happy!

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Susan Mallery said...

Deep breaths, focus on the work, it will get done.

At least that's what I tell myself!!

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Maureen. I plan to take a break, as well. Maybe sometime in 2030!

Love that adorable snail.

MCM, you are 79 years young!

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

Hey, Maureen's mom! Love your attitude and your exercise regimen too.

Maureen, I'm climbing on to that hamster treadmill right now. Just took on yet another deadline yesterday and am having to set up dates that look suspiciously...close. Yikes!

But I love this job and in 2007 I'm determined to enjoy every (fast and furious) moment I'm working at it.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Kate, thanks!

Susan.ahoooom, I will try!

Chris, right there with you. We should vacation together in 2030!

Christie!! Congrats on the new contract!! And at least deadlines mean we're employed!

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Maureenie, it's a date. :)

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Dana Diamond said...

I *do* think. And I *so* hear you. In between those deadlines I hope you get to slow down or at least take a break soon.

:) d

 

Post a Comment

<< Home