Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Woman vs Computer


posted by Maureen

Christmas is over and I’m back at work. Yep, took a few days off to do the baking and cleaning and the in general cooking required by the holiday and an imminent family invasion.

But all that’s behind me, now. Today, I’m jumping back into my nearly finished book. But to do it, I’ve got to get past my computer.

The computer’s a wonderful thing, I know. Sure, I had to be dragged, kicking and screaming into computer world...I was loathe to give up my typewriter. It was a comfort zone thing. And hey, the old typewriter didn’t have a mind of its own.

My computer does. And worse yet, it’s a male mind. How do I know my laptop is male? The signs are all there.

First, it takes forever to get up and get going. As any woman will tell you, making her man move is a challenge. My computer sighs and groans and is doing imaginary stretches while it eases into action.

Second, when I want it to do more than one thing at a time, it STOPS. That’s right. Like every other male, it has to take a minute to think things over before leaping into action. If it was a female computer, it would be great at multi-tasking.

Third, it blips out all these weird-ass warning notes. Big red X’s with things like this computer is very tired of your interference and will now stop remembering anything. The messages don’t make sense at all. It’s a power play, with the computer trying to remind me who’s in charge.

Fourth, the battery life is pitiful! Bought a new battery six months ago and already, it’s down to lasting a couple of hours before it’s tired. Needs a nap. If this was a female computer, that battery would be going strong all night and when it did need recharging, it would apologize!

So, the war between me and the computer is raging on. But no worries here...I know who’s in charge. And it doesn’t matter to me how many times the laptop makes document changes. Or exchanges my dotted line page break for a solid one. I don’t care if it insists on changing my margins and tab settings.

I will overcome all obstacles.

I am Writer.

Hear me roar.

What's your current irritation?? Come on, let's gripe together..........

8 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Blogger Susan Mallery said...

My laptop gets bitter when I don't use it for a while. It knows it's a waaaay secondary backup and these days it mostly gets used for travel e-mail. So when I boot it after a long sleep, it won't work right for at least a day. Nasty, nasty beast.

I hadn't thought of my computer being male, but I think you're right. It seems to do just fine when I'm writing sex!

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

My current irritation would be that this book is not finished.

Maybe 40-50 pages to go. Piece of cake, right?????

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Susan, LOL....you're right. My laptop is just dandy during the sex writing.....typical male.

Chris, keep on plugging!!! I'm right there with you.

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Gina Black said...

OMG...it's rare, but I'm not irritated by anything at all right now. Can I take a rain-check on that, Maureen? ;)

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Gina, can you feel the evil force of my total envy? (Demonic, crazed and totally disturbed laughter here)

Enjoy the moment! And sprinkle that happy dust around.

We can use it. Bah-humbug. ;)

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

You definitely get a rain check, Gina......cuz I've been there. Happily un-bugged by anything. Only to have the world turn on me like a rabid snake! LOL.....and love your little hamster/gerbil/whatever!

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

I share your pain, Maureen! I wrote something on the laptop last night and "shared" it so I could access it on my desktop. No go this morning. I can still see it on the laptop. It says it's shared. But it's not. Greedy laptop! Greedy guy laptop!

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

LOL, Maureen....love the male laptop theory!

My current irritation is the day job. Please don't make me go back there!!!!

Oops...hi boss....can't wait to get back to the office....

Hey, Hi Gina!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home