Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Resolutions...or not

Posted by Susan

I’m thinking about resolutions. Some years I don’t bother. I know things are going to be crazy and I hate setting myself up to fail, so I just ignore them. I’ve done that for the past couple of years, which turned out to be a very wise decision. But I’m thinking this year is different. Resolutions might not be a bad idea. So here’s my tentative list…

Come up with a book idea a week. I was listing to National Public Radio last Sunday and there was an interview with a singer/song writer who wrote songs about 52 different things in a year. Obviously it’s a lot more work to write a song, which had words and music, than just come up with a book idea. The fact that he did this will inspire me.

Five fruits and vegetables a day. I’m not foolish enough to want to talk about dieting. Oh, please. But more healthy is good. I’ve learned I can’t just say “I’ll eat more healthy” because without specifics, nothing much happens. So I have a real number. Five.

Read a non-fiction book a month. There are so many out there on everything from writing craft to business to history. So I’m going to pick one a month and read it.

Attend RWA meetings. Up here in Seattle there are three local chapters of Romance Writers of America. Three chances a month to attend a meeting and hang out with authors, talk the business and be social. I’ve had the excuse of moving, settling in, the holidays, etc., but excuse time is over.

Okay—and here’s the really hard one…take 45 minutes a day for me. I tried for an hour, but I started getting shaky at the thought, so I’m going with 45 minutes. 45 minutes of taking a bath or listening to a relaxation tape or getting a pedicure or reading a book I want to read, or sitting outside and doing nothing. No lists, no returns calls, no schedule whatever workman is currently needed. Just time for me.

There they are. My five resolutions. I’ll let you know how I’m doing as the year progresses.

So what about you? Resolutions yes or no? And if yes, what are a few?

11 Comments:

At 7:12 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

None. Yet. As a rule, I only make resolutions at times not connected with the New Year. It's just too...freighted in January for me. You know, the whole world making resolutions and most of the world not sticking to them...

So I make my resolutions on, say, Flag Day. Or Ground Hog day.


But as usual, Susan, you've got me thinking. I really like the one about a book idea a week. A lot. :)

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Okay, gotta admit, the book idea a week thing is a good one. Even if only a few of them are worth working up, that's really something!

And I'm so proud, Susan, that you're going to take that time every day for yourself!!!

Not proud enough to make any resolutions myself....but still.

 
At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Normally, I am like Susan - no resolutions, but this year I discovered I have an addiction and I am resolving to try and curb it. Not end it, as I know I don't have the willpower to do that. I am addicted to Target. Got my credit card bill and discovered, I have to start limiting my trips there. So that is my resolution.

Of course, I always try and eat healthy again in the New Year after the gluttony of the holidays, but I know that is short term.

Cady

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Oh, Cady, I feel your pain!! I can spend a fortune in Target. What is it about that store??? LOL

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Cady, we have Supertarget here, now. The J even works there, selling electronics, and loves it. You know, in his copious free time as a fulltime college music major. Hah!

I love it for everything but groceries. The carts are too small and they have too much of their house brand of everything.

But other than groceries, well, I probably need a resolution about spending there, too...

Maureen. Yeah! We could make a resolution NOT to make a resolution--well, except for the idea-a-week resolution. That's too good not to go for.

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Susan Mallery said...

Love Target. I agree...there's something about that store. It's my "go to" place. Especially this year. I bought a lot of fabulous decorations, including a skiing polar bear which, unfortunately, looks a little like a Star Trek alien blob from the street. One has to be close to see that it's a skiing polar bear. But I still love it!

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

Target! Cady, it would be hard for me to resolve to wean down on my Target fix. My Target just remodeled and what's saving me in expenses is that they cut back on their book section. Of course, the B&N is just a few steps away...

No resolutions for me this year, I don't think. I so rarely stick with them.

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

I'm afraid I've got to make some resolutions this year because I'm out of control!!

I'm going back to the gym, and I'll be setting up a writing schedule and oh lord, I'm sure I need to schedule some housecleaning time.....or hey, maybe I'll resolve to hire a housekeeper!

It doesn't mean I'll keep any of my resolutions but I'm resolved to resolving. *g*

I love your idea-a-week resolution! I heard that NPR story, too, and the cool thing was, that guy's songs were really good!

 
At 8:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank goodness my resolution starts after the new year, stopped in to Target for my sister's christmas gift and the next thing you know pajamas for both kids jumped into my cart. :)

Cady

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Cady, I so hear you. I think they must spray those red carts with something--a merchandise attractant. Every time I push one of those carts around, things just jump into it!

 
At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Barbs said...

I have no resolutions or am I going to make any. I do plan to walk with MIL at least once day after I'm through baking and eating all the goodies LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home