Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Happy holidays from me and my dog


Posted by Susan

I had big plans to post a picture of Nikki, possibly the world’s cutest dog, in antlers or a Santa hat. Unfortunately I couldn’t find either that even came close to fitting her. Sometimes it’s hard being small.

I was feeling kind of bad about not getting her a Christmas outfit, but then I remembered that she hates to wear clothes. The reality is despite being small and adorable, Nikki is all dog. She chews, she loves to play, food is her life, she has gas. There is nothing delicate about her. She also has a really big heart and is happy to share it with the world. In fact she has an excellent philosophy that is especially suited for this special time of year.

The rules, according to Nikki…

Assume everyone new is your life is the most interesting, exciting, thrilling person you’ll ever meet. You’ll be impressed by how often they’ll rise to match your expectations.

Exercise is fun. Sometimes racing up and down the stairs for no reason really adds some sparkle to a day.

Food *is* love and that’s okay. It means we get to experience love three or eight or twelve times a day!

Play hard. Life is short. Spend time doing what you really like.

Take time to soak up the sun. There are few things more relaxing than dozing in a warm, sunny spot while the rest of the world goes by.

Kiss a lot! Give kisses, get kisses. Kissing makes everyone feel better.

Love your family. They’re special. They’re the best part of who you are.

Happy holidays to you. May you and your experience all the blessings of this holiday season.

7 Comments:

At 7:01 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Ah, Nikki. Not only gorgeous, but also a philospher. Mostly a naked one.

And I do love how she never met a human she didn't adore.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

I LOVE Nikki's rules. Absolutely true and such good ones to remember this time of year.

When we were in Malibu (more tomorrow) we passed a tiny little dog on the sidewalk being walked by its owner. It paused, made this shocked sound of indignation, and then just stared at us. We realized we'd made the big mistake of not pausing ourselves to admire and pet her. Really, an oversight, because we are dog people.

I tried to tell the darling animal that we were sorry and she seemed to forgive us, though I think I heard her mutter, "Tourists!" as we moved on.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Nikki is not only tiny and gorgeous, she is WISE.

What a wonderful set of rules the little Mistress has. If we all followed the Zen of Nikki, we'd probably be a lot happier...

And she is adorable, with or without antlers!

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Christyne Butler said...

Love the picture Susan and the wise words from Nikki!

Have to say I just took an extended lunch (boss is gone for the holidays) as I couldn't put down THE ULTIMATE MILLIONAIRE (started it yesterday at lunchtime and was inspired to write seven, yes SEVEN pages on my own wip!)

I must say, wow...no, make that double WOW! Todd's wedding toast he read to Marina was amazing and got me all teary eyed! Thanks for a great series!

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Susan Mallery said...

Christyne--that's so sweet. Thank you!! I live to make people tear and write! :)

Nikki would never be critical if someone didn't notice her. Instead she would race over and plant herself in their path, assuming that deep and meaningful friendship was only a second away!!

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

Truly brilliant words to live by! Thank you for sharing Nikki's genius with us, Susan.

She is undisputedly THE cutest dog in the world!

 
At 3:08 PM, Anonymous spyscribbler said...

That is absolutely adorable! I figure she's much smarter than us human-folk. I only wish I could be more like her!

The keys to happiness ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home