Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Friends


Posted by Susan

I was in the grocery store this past Tuesday morning. It was quiet and empty, with everyone else waiting for Target or the Hallmark store to open to get the half-priced Christmas items. I turned a corner and there it was… The half-priced candy display.

Years ago, when I lived in Houston, I met a writer named Heather. She is one of those people who is just plain annoying—beautiful, smart, nice, friendly. You know—perfect. I was doubtful about us ever being friends, because of the whole perfection thing, when she confessed her favorite days of the year were the day after Christmas, Valentine’s Day and Easter, because candy was half off!! I knew then that Heather and I could seriously bond, despite the perfection issue.

Seeing the candy display made me laugh and think of Heather. Just like when I see a, um, less than tall person trying to reach the top shelf in a store, I think of Terry. I always offer to help, because of her. I think of Maureen and her beloved Abbey whenever I see a Golden Retriever, or a lab, or any large, blond dog who is adorable. I think of Chris when I hear someone mention Arkansas or any sentence with the word “waning” in it.

Christie is my “beach” girl and Kate brings to mind the fabulous wine we’ll share at conference. (We plan ahead, picking restaurants based on the wine list.)

At the year comes to a close, I wanted to take a moment and think about the friends in my life. Christina is always practical, Suzanne knows my real insanity. There are others, those who make up the colors in the fabric of my life.

For me, life is about those we love. I have been blessed with great friends and I am grateful. Here’s to a new year with more adventures and lots of happiness, health and success.

So who are the special friends in your life and why?

9 Comments:

At 8:36 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Oh, Susan. You, mos def!

And of course my other fellow DDers.

And Karyn, who does such a beautiful Thanksgiving.

And my mom, who always made sure I knew I could do anything.

And Susan Crosby. And Diana and Sandra and my sister BJ, the Buddhist.

Now, I'm off for a vacation in Arkansas. I wish. Mwahaha

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Ah, let's see, there's Patti, seeing a redhead makes me think of her and Nancy, the go to girl if you want to hit Vegas and never sleep!

And my DDers who make every day a little more fun....

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger charsepu said...

OHHHHH Susan Im so happy I noticed your blog...I absolutely love blogging. You asked who your friends are? Here is a blog I posted on my 360 that is all about my friends...

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-sNrYXVkyc6dmTJcOdv2nsg--?cq=1&p=264#comments

I love writing on my blog, but not as much as reading "YOUR" novels. I am on the second millionair story and on my way to get the sizzling story later today. I love Maureens stories also, but I must consfess I own all of your stories :P.

Thanks so much for being a beautiful writer angel...and have a Blessed Happy New Year....

Love you always Charlotte Sepulveda, SA, TX

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

Besides the DDers and my other writer buds (all invaluable) I have a group of friends who have been together since our kids were in kindergarten. We now call ourselves the "Mayberry Moms." I had them over for dinner (and husbands) before Christmas and received a lovely thank you note about friendship from one of the moms later that made me think about how we'd changed from people who knew each other because of our kids to people who just like each other for ourselves.

The kids have split up to a couple of different schools and the friendships that they established as five-year-olds have waned in many cases. But the friendship of the moms is something that works better than ever.

I'm thankful for them!

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

Ah Susan, I thought of you on Christmas Eve when we opened a really nice Pinot Noir! *g*

Shopping at Chicos reminds me of Chris (who has the greatest clothes)

Going into a Starbucks and seeing those yummy doughnuts (hey, they're baked not fried!) always reminds me of Maureen.

Christie - definitely the beach!

My friend Ginger is who I think of whenever I see a redhead.

Whenever I hear the word yoga, I think of my friend Julie. (I also think of pretzels and ben-gay, strangely enough.)

And P.S., now I'm wondering if that secret spa of Chris's is somewhere in Arkansas......

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Kate, why thank you!

And re Arkansas; Bust-ed!

But Christie, feel free to ply me with great drinks at the literacy signing!

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Marilyn Shoemaker said...

Believe it or not, friends from my years growing up and college, we all still keep in touch and try to get together a couple times each year.

Co-workers in the travel industry who I've worked with over 15 years.

Authors, those of you I read and who have given me enjoyment and support during my loss this past year. Especially to you Susan, I love having you here in the Pacific NW, you're in "wine country". So my New Years challenge is that we take a wine trip to "Eastern WA", yes, you heard me correctly. Trust me, you won't be sorry!

2007 prediction: Kate, I have a good feeling about your "idol" contest.

And to the rest of you on Deadline Diaries, Happy New Year. This blog is wonderful!

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Susan Mallery said...

Charlotte--Thanks for stopping by and being such a sweetie!! I'm happy to hear you're enjoying the Millionaires. Fingers crossed you find Sizzling just as yummy.

Marilyn--I've actually been to Walla Walla and wherever it is the Columbia Crest winery is. Patterson, maybe? It's in the middle of nowhere. And Yakima. I've been to Yakima, all in the name of tasting wine. The things I do for my books! But I'm always up for more wine tasting!

Happy New Year, all!

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Pat said...

Hi, Susan (Mallery)- Just finished Sizzling yesterday - read it in 2 days and if I had more time, would have read it in 1.

A wonderful book - read it, read it, read it. And Was sorry for it to end. I loved the story, and the dialogue was a hoot. Wont say anymore as I dont want to spoil.

My only complaint that Dani's story is a long wait. Dont know how I can hold out til July. Is that going to be the last in the series? Of can you come up with a neighbor, cousin or something?

My cover is different than appears on this site. The heroine is grabbing the hero's shirt and background is yellow.

My good friends are Helen, Marie and Donna.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home