Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Tag! You're It!

posted by Maureen

Well, I had this great picture of Tigers playing tag, but Blogger won't let me load it. So I'll try for it later! Meanwhile, back to the blog...

Okay, I got tagged by Dana Diamond a week or so ago and I’m just now paying up! The object of this little exercise is, someone tags you and you have to come up with 5 interesting or funny facts about yourself.

Not as easy as you might think...


1. Cary Grant called me ‘Darling’. Yes, my all time favorite movie star actually spoke to me when I was a kid. At Disneyland. My friends and I were there, heard a sales clerk talking about him and I set off on a HUNT. I did laps around Disneyland until I finally tracked Cary down by the Jungle Safari ride. He was with his daughter and his bodyguards and largely being ignored by a crowd who apparently didn’t notice the STAR in their midst. I stopped about ten feet from him and shouted, “Mr. Grant?” and asked for an autograph of all things. And he said, “I’m sorry Darling. This isn’t a good time.” He was gray haired and long past his prime and still one of the most sexy men in the known universe. Of course, as soon as he spoke, he was ENGULFED by a crowd of people. So I probably ruined his day at Disneyland even though he MADE mine!

2. I saw my dog’s ghost A couple of weeks after my darling Golden Retriever Abbey died suddenly, I saw her again. She was sitting right beside me, just as she always did and for a minute, I almost forgot the pain of losing her.

3. My daughter and I got drunk and burned Christmas dinner. That sounds really bad, doesn’t it? A couple of years ago, I was making Lasagna for Christmas dinner. It should have turned out great. My Sicilian mother in law’s sauce recipe alone made it worthwhile. Then Sarah and I started drinking wine. We had a great time until we checked on the Lasagna and found tomato sauce flavored crackers. And the DH got my daughter and I laughing hysterically on video tape! Oh, and we had sandwiches for Christmas dinner!

4. I was once surrounded by hunting dogs. Yes, went to the mountains with the DH. We scaled what felt like Mt. Everest and when we reached the top, I was so proud. Until I saw a group of people walking toward us and the DH told me “they took the road”. Uh-huh, thanks, babe. And later, while looking for a little girl’s room out in the Great Outdoors—six hunting dogs showed up out of nowhere at a very inconvenient moment and fought me for space! Needless to say, I won. And, also needless to say, that was my last foray into the Great Outdoors.

5. I crashed the roof of my car. Yep, that’s right. My VW bug had dents all over its poor body. Then my dad noted that the only place that hadn’t been touched was the roof. You guessed it. Two days later, I drove the car into the DH’s shop, wrapped the rope handle for the giant door around the front bumper and brought the gazillion pound door down on the roof. My dad learned to not challenge me in any way!

Now, I’m tagging my other DDer’s. That’s right, girls. I want to see blogs from you all, with your best 5! And everyone else...tell me what you’ve got! Trust me, it’s not as embarrassing as the hunting dog story!

19 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

EEEK! I love yours, Maureen. Tagging. Oh, my. So very scary.

Especially the getting drunk with your daughter and burning the holiday meal. Oh, yeah. Girls after my own heart. A truly bondy moment...

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Gillian Doyle said...

Loved every single one, Maureen!

BTW, on the subject of dented cars, Gina Black wrote in her blog today that she had a car accident yesterday -- http://ginablack.blogspot.com/

Great news! Your Silhouette Nocturne, ETERNALLY, is SOLD OUT at my Borders! Kathleen Korbel's Nocturne was there, so the series has hit the shelves. Looks like I wasn't as quick to get to the bookstore as your local contingent of fans. Live and learn!
Good thing I can still buy ETERNALLY at our meeting this Saturday!

Congrats on the great PR in The Writer's Best Friend, The Writer's Vibe and The Slice of Orange!

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Chris........ah, yes. One of our favorite bondy moments!! And on tape for posterity.yee gods. LOL

Gillian, Thanks!! GREAT news to hear the book was sold out! And what's The Writer's Best Friend? Going to go read Gina's now...

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Gillian Doyle said...

A Writer's Best Friend is Dana's Blog. :)

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Susan Mallery said...

At least now I know what I'll blog about tomorrow...

Five things, hmmm....

((hugs)) to Gina on the car accident. Hope she's okay.

Congrats to Maureen on the sales. No surprise there! It's a terrific book!

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

And may I just add my congrats to Susan's, Maureen!

And my good wishes to Gina Black. ARgh. I hate accidents. I've had a couple. Not fun, in any way. Even if you don't end up injured it's nothing but a huge hassle and stress-producer. Not to mention often expensive...

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Thanks, everybody!

And Gillian, LOL! Dana I know.. read it every day. Just never noticed the title! sheesh.......

Cannot wait to see the other DDer's blogs!

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

Hey, I'm double tagged now so I'll be doing a special Kate Expose on my personal blog later this week!!

Meanwhile, I can't believe you burned Christmas dinner!! Because you were drinking?? Were you raised in my house??? LOL

And Cary Grant! Sigh. Isn't he the most classy, gorgeous man who ever lived?

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Michele said...

I LOVE your answers, Maureen!

And Cary Grant? ::sigh:: I wish I'd met him. In my opinion, there will never be another actor like him. My Favorite Wife, Arsonic and Old Lace, North by Northwest...love him in all those movies.

And crashing the roof of the car totally sounds like something that I'd do! I love a challenge. LOL

Congrats on ETERNALLY!!

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Kate, I've long suspected we were twins separated at birth!! So, natch, can't wait to see YOUR embarrassing moments!

Michele, wasn't Cary amazing?? At the last RWA conference in NYC, we were at the midtown HIlton and my room overlooked the Warwick, where Cary lived for 12 years in the penthouse. I watched the balcony a LOT, hoping to see him still wandering around......

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Gillian Doyle said...

Cary Grant in "The Bishop's Wife"...double sigh. That *is* the right title, isn't it? He's an angel on a mission at Christmas time to help the bishop played by David Niven. And the bishop's wife was played by....???

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Michele said...

Loretta Young was The Bishop's Wife. :-)

Another great movie!

M.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Classic movie, Gillian and Michele! Play it every Christmas!

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Dana Diamond said...

3 and 5 cracked me up.

I never burned Christmas dinner, but then, I don't cook. But I do remember seeing Joan Lunden drunk on Xmas on GMA. That was awesome!

And I have to admit, I crashed a roof too. It was with my sister. I totally blame her. We ran into a gas station's awning with a U-Haul.

Kate, I can't wait to see yours.

Hi everyone!

:) d

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Dana Diamond said...

Forgot to add that I loved that one about your dog. The same thing happened to Mom.

Sorry for your loss. Glad you got to see her again.

:) d

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger Sandra D said...

Maureen,

I loved your answers and Dana will hopefully have my book signed by you on Saturday!

I skip around on what I read...Survior in Death to the old Jimmy Breslin The Gang That Could Not Shoot Straight. I go from scary to funny to romance..gives me some balance:-)

I had the very same experience with my dog Ayla...she was 16 1/2 years old half Akita half Lab.
I wrote to Gillian about it on her blog. I wonder how many of us that loved our companions so much have this happen?

Anyway love your blog and I will visit often. I don't know who belongs to who:-)

Yes I am Blog challenged and Acronym challenged...hey I am kissing 60 so what the ***k! I meant HECK :-)!!!!

~Sandy

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Hey, Dana! See what you started with Tagging! =) Oh, Sarah and I had a GREAT time that Christmas!! And it's so cool that you too are a roof crasher!!

Sandy! SOO nice to see you here! I'm a real eclectic reader, too. Everything from scary to funny to YA! And isn't that something?? to be able to see our dogs after they've gone. Abbey's visit really made me feel better--though I still miss her, three years later.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Ah, Maureen, the dog--was that Abby? She came to see you one last time, and left you with another memory to treasure.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

She really did, Jen. I think she missed me, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home