Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

STILL SPOOKED?


PRETEND PICTURE HERE
THANK YOU, BLOGGER! posted by Maureen

Okay, day after Halloween, had to talk about scary movies. And have to admit, I’m a big chicken when it comes to being scared. I love to read suspense, mysteries, but seeing them on the screen creeps me out faster than anything!

And yet...when I was a kid, I saw an old movie on TV that both fascinated and terrified me. THE UNINVITED, a black and white movie (always scarier for some reason, than color), was about a ghost haunting a young woman who lived in this amazing house on a rocky cliff in England. Of course, there was a love story and a mystery and ooh. A GOOD ghost trying to defend our heroine from the BAD ghost. No blood, no gore and it still gives me chills. I dreamed about it for weeks.

By the time I was a teenager, I figured I could handle scary movies. Could I have been more wrong? My little brother and I watched PSYCHO one night when our folks were out to dinner. Mom and dad came home and every light was on, doors were locked and chained and Eddie and I were armed with his two best Louisville sluggers. Our parents practically had to show ID to get us to open the doors.

Later, my dh hounded me into going to see ALIEN, by telling me it was no big deal. I’d survived childbirth, hadn’t I?? Oh, big mistake again. When that alien wormy thing popped out of the guy’s chest, I ran for the lobby. And sat there for a half hour. Made friends with the ushers, helped out at the candy counter and only went back in after they told me who else in the cast died, so I could relax.

And then the ds insisted his dad, sister and I go with him to see THE BLAIR WITCH. He’d already seen it and swore it was great. The best movie ever. So we went. How many times can I say BIG mistake? But this time I wasn’t scared. The jerking camera sort of made me seasick, the whispering had our daughter asking “what’d they say?” and at the big Ta-Da ending, the dh laughed out loud. Our son was seriously disgusted with all of us and come to think of it, hasn’t gone to a movie with us since.

So, is there a movie that really creeped you out? Do you watch it anyway? And yes, you really can watch a movie through your fingers.

13 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Blogger Susan Mallery said...

I am such a whimp about movies. I can't watch anything scary. Although I *love* the Terminator movies, I've never actually seen the part where he cuts out his eye. You, Maureen, told me "The Others" was no big deal. After twenty minutes, I was soooo out of there.

I can't deal with a lot of bad stuff, either. I got through Saving Private Ryan only to literally start sobbing hysterically when the movie ended. We were in a theater and the DH desperately had to go to the bathroom. But how could he abandon his sobbing wife? People were staring and walking around us. I would only watch cartoons and comedies for the next month.

Movies are powerful. Wonderful, but powerful.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Remember The Haunting of Hill House? B&W. Terrifying--without one drop of blood spilled. All atmosphere and great acting. Does it every time for me.

But then, there was The Night of the Living Dead. Pretty dang gorey. First time I saw it, I was scared outta my mind. I loved it. Something about the dead relentlessness of those zombies. EEEEEK!

But then, years later I saw it again and, well, it was so tacky. I couldn't help laughing. So go figure. I guess I'm jaded in the zombie sense.

One movie love that scares me and also has me laughing myself silly is Shawn of the Dead. Love it!

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Well, can't watch the bloody ones. yeesh....and Susan, The Others WAS no big deal! LOL

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

I'm pretty much a scary movie wimp too. I think it's because my imagination goes on overdrive. I babysat a lot as a teen and I was careful NEVER to bring a scary book with me or even pause on a scary movie on TV.

I'd been dating this guy for a couple of years (now my husband aka Surfer Guy) and we started watching The Exorcist on TV one night. And I started thinking..."How well DO I know this guy?" and "He COULD be a serial killer, or possessed, or..."

You see? There went my imagination.

 
At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Kim said...

I have to share your analysis of the Blair Witch movie. My dh travels a great deal for his job, and he saw it for the first time on ppv in a hotel room--scared the jeepers out of him. Of course, he wanted to come home--rent it and scare the jeepers out of me. I watched it--and about half way through, I paused to say "is it going to get scary?" Not a thing about it scared me--I thought that it was dumb. DH hasn't forgiven me for that one yet. :) LOL

I am probably more scared by the movies that make me "think" that I know what is going on. Pretty much anything my M. Night Shyamalan gets me. Signs with Mel Gibson and Joaquin Phoenix--saw that on a trip to Mt. Pleasant TX--scared the hell out of me. (BTW Mt. Pleasant is neither--but thats another story)

Happy November to all...

Kim

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

I don't do scary movies. Not at all, ever. No more. But when I was young, my brothers and I were dropped off at the movies every Saturday and we saw some really creepy ones. After seeing "The Village of the Damned," none of us spoke for a few days. We'd stare at each other for a few seconds, then whip around and stare hard at our parents. Of course, in the movie, that's when the parent would drive into a brick wall. Didn't work for us, probably a good thing.

Another truly scary one was "The Tingler." OMG, it still gives me chills to think about it. It was one of those movies where, at the end, the announcer goes "But where did it go? Oh no! It's lose in the theatre! It's under your seat! It's--AAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!"

LOLOL!!

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Michele said...

Oh, Maureen, I love THE UNINVITED! That is a classic ghost story, and it terrified me so much that even though I first watched it on TV during the day, I did not sleep that night...and I was an adult. LOL

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Christie, the Exorcist is way too creepy for me!! When my friend was reading the book, she'd put it in the freezer over night. Didn't want it loose in the house!

Kim...right there with you! Blair Witch was just so damn silly!! Though I love SIGNS! LOL...and I really want to hear the Mt. Pleasant story!

Kate!! Oh God, I forgot about THE TINGLER!! Major creep factor. Or how about THE CRAWLING EYE? I've never been able to look at fog without wondering, since!

Michele!! Another UNINVITED fan! Is that a great movie or what??

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

Christie, the Exorcist is the scariest book I've ever read. I still remember, I was lying on my couch reading it and I heard this low, shuffling-like sound and I couldn't figure out what it was until I realized--it was my hair moving! My hair was literally standing on end!!

Now I've got chills thinking about that, too. I hope you're happy, Maureen!

 
At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MAUREEN YOU FAILED TO MENTION THAT YOUR BEST FRIEND PATTI CANTERBURY ALSO WATCHED THAT PSYCHO MOVIE WITH YOU AND YOUR BROTHER, AND WE DID INDEED HAVE TO PLEAD TO GET INTO THE HOUSE.

THE UNINVITED IS MY FAVORITE GHOST MOVIE IT WAS REALLY, REALLY SCARY
AND I HAVE NOT SEEN ONE SINCE THAT SCARED ME AS MUCH.

MOM

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Dana Diamond said...

Me and scary movies don't mix. But I did see Blair Witch.

We had a friend of a friend in the business give us a copy like almost a year before it came out in theatres...probably to get buzz going.

Anyway, it worked, we were totally creeped out.

I think that was the last scary movie I saw.

:) d

PS Blogger and pix aren't mixing for me either.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Hi Mom!! Yep, shortened the story since no one here would know Patti! =) But yes, all three of us, armed with Eddie's baseball bats! Fun night!

Dana, somehow it makes me feel better knowing I'm not the ONLY one who can't get Blogger to post a bloody picture!! Oh!! Check back with me next Wednesday here on DD...I'll be answering the tag you pointed at me!

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Oh, wait. Forgot THE SHINING. Can you say sca-a-a-ary!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home