Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

My name is Susan and I drink lattes...


Posted by Susan

I come before you this morning with a heavy heart. I am ashamed to admit…I have an addiction. It’s sad, truly sad and while I am not yet destroying my family and threatening my livelihood, that potential seems far too close. Although, despite my pain, I have voted for Kate in the American Title 3 contest...have you?

My addiction started innocently enough, as all these things do. We had recently moved to Seattle and surrounded by so many coffee places I decided that I, too, should drink coffee. It’s practically the state beverage. I confess I was feeling a little left out. Perhaps even a little pressure to join in. So, so dangerous.

I’d never been a coffee drinker. I thought it was nasty. I did tea and diet drinks. Water, of course. Wine…always wine. But never coffee. Not even mocha flavored stuff. Then I mentioned my dilemma to someone I thought of as a friend. That I wanted to be a regular Seattle-type person and go to Starbucks. Maybe even stop at one of the coffee huts. That “friend” said to try a latte.

It seemed so innocent. I went to my local coffee place and waited my turn. Then I uttered the words that would change my life forever…”Grande, nonfat, no-foam latte.”

It was delicious. It was warm and comforting, but with a little zip. About a half hour later, the double shot of espresso kicked in and the world looked brighter. I was alive and full of energy. I was healed!

I found myself making excuses to drive by Starbucks. I got decafe in the afternoon, telling myself all that milk provided me with calcium. I got a Starbucks gift card and didn’t tell the DH how much money I put on it. I changed grocery stores to the one that had a Starbucks inside. I began driving to get coffee every morning, despite the fact that the DH had bought me a fabulous machine that made lattes at home. I needed to place the order, to utter the words, then grasp my take-out container between my hands and breath in the scent. I wanted that first sip as I walked to my car. I wanted the “experience.”

I’m not sure where this will end. Can I overcome my need and go on to live a better life? Will I be one of those people hovering by the entrance, begging for $3.27 so I can have my latte? Will I really put more money on my Starbucks card? I just don’t know.

11 Comments:

At 8:34 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Oh, Susan. I see it all now. You, my dear friend, standing on a Seattle streetcorner, a downhearted, shivering Nikki on a leash at your side. You've got one of those cardboard signs and you hover behind it:

"Will work for lattes"

Oh, so sad...

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Now now, a latte addiction is never a bad thing. And what a thoughtful friend to suggest you try it!! =)

The experience of standing in line, hearing the general chatter above the hiss and sputter of the espresso machine..sigh. This is part of what feeds our creativity!

Do not fear the latte, Susan--Embrace it!

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Susan Mallery said...

See, only one of you can be right. Poor Nikki, shivering in the rain. And yet, I *want* to embrace my lattes. Which could be part of the problem. Oh, how I love them. Although the steamer gives me a little trouble. It's too much like cow udders, which is a little too close to nature for moi.

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Oh, by all means believe Madame Maureenie, queen of the ultimate Displacement Activity, empress of fantasy and hope and all like that.

Not moi, the ever-humble harbinger of hard, cold reality...

Did I mention...mwahaha?

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Reality is sooooo over rated!! Else, why would we write fiction???

I say embrace the latte, the hopes, the dream of a kinder, gentler coffee addiction.

And buy Nikki a raincoat, just in case.

 
At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan - I feel your pain. I always use to laugh at all those coffee junkies. Spending their hard-earned money on coffee. Then I discovered my evil nemisis - chai tea. Its warm, sweet, slightly spicy and creamy. Yum. At first, I decided it wasn't so bad, I could have it instead of breakfast. Now, I am trying to limit my addiction to twice a week. Maybe I can get another cardboard sign - although without the adorable Nikki I think you will get all the change.

Cady

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

I have tried recreating the Starbucks latte experience at home and it just doesn't work! Even with Starbucks coffee, the expensive machine, good water.

I keep thinking I should by a better machine, because, yeesh, with the amount I've spent on lattes I could have bought two or three.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Susan Mallery said...

Tragically, as I type this, I have a warm, yummy latte on my desk. Yes (head hanging in shame) I went again.

As for Nikki and the raincoat. She has one. It's pink...with reflector stripes on it.

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GOOD FOR YOU SUSAN, IT EOOK ME A LONG TIME TO TRY LATTES BUT ONCE I DID, I FEEL EXACTLY THE WAY YOU DO ABOUT THEM, THEY ARE WONMDERFUL.

MY ONLY PROBLEM IS THERE IS NOT A STARBUCKS NEAR ME, SO WHILE GAS WAS SO HIGH I HAD TO CURTAIL MY CRAVINGS, AND BELIEVE ME IT WAS HARD!!!!!!!

I LOVE GOING TO MAUREENS CAUSE SHE ALWAYS TAKES ME TO STARBUCKS LOL.

SALLYE (MAUREENS MOM)

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

HI Mom!!

Starbucks on Sunday. You, me and SArah!!

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

If you like the Grande nonfat no-foam, latte, next time try the Venti. It's bigger, warmer, more soothing. Mmmmm. It's so cold outside. This is just the thing to warm you up. Try it. Just one sip.....

And a carrot cake cream cheese muffin is hardly any calories at all. So yummy....go on, you know you want it. Oh yes. Just one bite....mmmm....

Kisses,

Satan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home