Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The Amazing Maureenie...


I just finished reading the galleys for my February Nocturne book, NEVERMORE and gotta say, I really like the book a lot.

But I couldn’t help thinking about one of my hero’s ‘powers’. Mind reading. Now, every woman alive knows that she wouldn’t want a mind reading hero in real life. Not one of us would want a husband to know everything we’re thinking! That’s a dark and ugly road that leads only to divorce court.

But in theory, mind reading would be a handy talent to have. For example, if I could tune into the minds of everyone reading this blog today, I’d know which of you have already voted for Kate and which of you I still have to remind!

And, I would have known what was going on with my kids without the sneaky, super-spy interrogation techniques I was forced to use. The CIA has nothing on a mom who needs to know. We have talents those Federal amateurs would never understand. And mind reading would come in handy in business meetings. Not to mention parties—knowing just what to say and when to say it. Plus, I could know in advance what the other DDers were going to blog about and beat them to it! (Not that I would ever do that, you guys. Honest.)

But, since I can’t read minds (even my own, most days), I’m forced to do things the old fashioned way. I ramble at parties, trick my children into spilling their secrets, bumble with my editor and blindly come up with blogs I hope won’t bore you to tears.

Then I find sites like this one. I’ve tried this little ‘mind reading’ thing a dozen times now and it's never wrong! Gotta admit, it's really creeping me out. So if one of you can explain to me how they did it, I’d really be grateful!

18 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Okay, it was wrong *once* for me. Then I realized I'd subtracted wrong...

Help! I'm a prisoner of Bored.com!

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

LOLOL.......Thank God!! I'm not alone!!

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Okay, I actually figured it out--but I'm not tellin' till tomorrow, Ms. Amazing Maureenie!

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Oh, God. I'm so cruel. I can't stand it...

Well, okay. Yes, I can. Mwahaha.

I feel like I'm Christian Bale in The Prestige.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Susan Mallery said...

Okay--it *never* did the one I was thinking of, even when I carefully put my mouse on it to give it a little hint.

Am I really that twisted? Is my mind a total blank??

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

How is that possible, Susan???

Chris, yes, you're evil, but that's why we love you

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Susan, er...did you follow the instructions? It's not just the one you're thinking of, but the number you came up with after adding both digits and subtracting them from the original two-digit number...?

Maureenie, I love you, too! And yes, I *am* evil. Truly evil!

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

It has to be a programed algebra and chance equation--right?

Why, Maureen, why???? Now I have to know! And Christine, that's just mean!

I'm off to ponder how it works. I may have to ask my Math Advisor...she ALWAYS knows.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

Okay, I thought I'd caught it wrong too, until I realized the one that was wrong was me!

Christine, you've figured it out? I can't see how since it has no way of knowing what number you picked. Hmm...must go talk to Surf Guy who is a math teacher. He's home today with a bad back.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Oooh. I feel Surfer Guy's pain. My back went out again last night. Good times...

Christie, if he tells you how, SHARE!! We'll thwart our evil partner!

Jen..if I suffer, everybody suffers!!

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

What, me, thwarted??

Never!

And a hint. I figured it out by accident...by doing two in a row without re-setting to see if it would "know" what the second one was, or would answer the first one. What I discovered then led me to figure out the mystery...

Oh, yeah. Christian Bale!

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Evil, Chris, evil............

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Oh, yeah. Evil. And a diabolical genius when it comes to new ways to avoid working.

Madame Maureenie, oh goddess of the endlessly intriguing Displacement Activity, you are not helping!

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Then my work here is done, Oh Magical Christine!!

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

Hey, I figured it out too! After the first time, I did the equation without clicking first, and saw that there are certain numbers that always, well, and then the symbols change every time you click and then, well, it's hard to explain. But there's a finite number of possibilities that...aw, hell, get Surfer Guy to explain it, will ya?

And Maureen, You are are undisputed queen of displacement. I bow to you!!

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Thank you, Kate! It's good to be Queen.........sigh.

and you figured it out, too?? The Queen is heartily ashamed of herself and her poor aptitude for math!

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Dana Diamond said...

I couldn't figure it out either. Hell, I couldn't even get it to work! Feel better?

And you'll have to share ways to trick kids.

As of now, I've got one of them so convinced I have eyes on the back of my head, she sometimes asks to see them.

But I know that won't hold me for long.

:) d

PS And is it me or did someone say Christian Bale in here?

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Hey, Dana! Christian Bale. That would be moi. I'm going to have to get some pics of him for tomorrow. Oh, yeah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home