Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Tiaras and Mooses-Meece? Moosi?


posted by Maureen


Okay, since I didn’t get my shot at the tiara discussion, I’m taking us back! So, to explain the photo on the left...It’s one tiny corner of my incredibly cluttered and hey, dusty, desk. I write on a laptop, so my desk is more or less where I store everything.

Here, you see my tiara, given to me by some faboo writers at the Orange County Chapter of RWA, at a celebration of my cough-cough-birthday. A great time was had by all, and now we all wear our tiaras when honoring the next cough-cough birthday among us. And there, under my sparkling tiara...my dad’s moose. Yes, that's right. This blog is more about where I keep my tiara than the tiara itself.

My dad was never a big joiner. He didn’t like belonging to clubs or groups—(which is probably where I got it!) But as a retired cop turned real estate agent, he finally did join a local group called The Loyal Order of Moose, to make connections in the city where he and my mom had moved. Well, naturally, as soon as I found out about the Loyal Order of Moose, I laughed myself silly. My dad, a man with an amazing sense of humor, laughed along with me and put up with a lot of teasing. (Let it be known, I mean no slurs to the Loyal Order of Moose—this is about my dad, not the order).

Anyway...my husband and I took the kids to Disneyland not long after dad joined the ‘Order’ and while we were waiting in one of the endless lines...I spotted the little guy in the photo. Naturally, I HAD to have him! Bought Mr. Moose, toted him out to my dad, who immediately put it on and posed for photos. We even came up with a ‘moose call’ that we’d shout at each other for months after that.

My dad’s been gone four years now and I still miss him. But I keep Mr. Moose in my office, up on my desk, so I can look up at him and smile, remembering just how great my father was. And just how lucky I was to have him in my life.

And the tiara??? Well, I had to put it somewhere, didn’t I? Besides, I think daddy would be pleased to know that his moose now wears a crown. As is only right...

Now, I promise, no more talk of tiaras from me! Next week, I’ll be back to complaining about my current WIP or whining about a cover or...you get the idea

11 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

Awww, Mr. Moose is sooo cute!! He certainly deserves that beautiful tiara....don't we all? *g*

And that's such a nice memory of Dad, too!

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Now, THAT is a tiara! Also, a moose. Meece. Moosi What a cute little guy. Also, I'm with Kate. Such a great story about your dad.

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Aw, Maureen, love the moose, and I think I would have loved your dad too!

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Susan Mallery said...

Fabulous picture. Thanks for sharing. I know we were talking before about our fathers and how they have such a hold on our hearts.

Here's to tiaras and fathers and all the other things and people we love.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Hey guys.......Yes, it's a HECK of a tiara!!! Tres chic!

And Jen, my dad was so funny and so much fun to be around...it's hard to have family gatherings and not expect to hear him laughing!

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

Love the story about your dad, Maureen. What did the mooses do at their meetings? I've always wondered about male clubs like the Shriners. Do they practice driving those little motorcycles they ride on in parades?

I was trying to think if my dad belonged to any clubs and all I could think of was Junior Achievement which was some sort of business mentoring thing he did. Dang, he'd look good in antlers!

Christie

 
At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES MAUREEN YOUR DAD WAS A WONDERFUL MAN AND I MISS HIM VERY MUCH BUT AM THANKFULL THAT I HAD HIM FOR 58 YEARS............

MOM
P.S. I ALSO LOVE YOUR TIARA AND YOU DO DESERVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Hey Christie--

You know, I'm not SURE what the Moosi did at their meetings. Hmm... And I bet your dad would look great in antlers!

Hi Mom! sorry if I made you cry... but he was glad he had YOU for 58 years, too! Love you!

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Hey, Maureen's cool mom. *waving*

Re strange groups men get into. My dad was in the order of E Clampus Vitus up in the Sierras. It was some miner's order and mostly about getting blasted and having these joke ceremonies at which it was no women allowed. They also had a parade, as I recall and dressed up in some really odd gear. Hmm. Have to use Clampers in one of my books. Oh, most def...

 
At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HE BACK CHRISTINE, I AM GLAD MAUR
HAS SUCH A GREAT BUNCH OF FRIENDS, FRIENDS ARE WONDERFUL AND GOOD TO HAVE.

MOM

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Christyne Butler said...

Great story and a sweet memory Maureen and love the picture...so very nice!

And your mom stopped by too! Congrats on 58 years together...that is wonderful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home