Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

My (new) hometown


Posted by Susan

As I’ve mentioned previously, we recently moved to Seattle. Now I’ve been coming for visits for nearly ten years, but I’ve never actually lived here. Permanently. Because that’s the new plan. To stay here until someone has to sweep our dried-up, dusty bones out of the house because we’re not moving again. Ever.

In theory.

While I’ve lived a lot of places, I’ve never had to look at one as somewhere I’ll be forever. At least my version of forever. It kinda changes things.

I grew up in Los Angeles. In “the valley” where, like, yes, we did talk differently, but what’s the big diff? Seattle is nothing like the valley. For one thing, there are trees. Lots and lots and lots of tall, beautiful trees. Some of which I’m allergic to, which I know gives the trees a good giggle. The streets are different here, too. Most of the city is like a grid, with the streets being given number names instead of regular names. And the address relates to the street. For example, if you’re looking for 10274 26th St NE, you’re going to find that around 26th and 102st. See, the first three numbers of the address are the cross street. Pretty darned clever, huh?

Seattle is very big on coffee. Because a Starbucks every fifty-seven feet isn’t enough, they have these coffee huts. (I’m sure they have a different and better name, but I don’t know what it is.) Anyway, any spare spot in a parking lot or turn-out on a road has a small shed-like building where they serve coffee. One of the ones between my house and the freeway (a two mile trip where I pass three coffee huts) advertises hot baristas in bikinis on Fridays.

I really like Seattle. I like that it’s casual and friendly. I like how I’m less than 45 minutes from downtown (assuming no traffic) and yet it’s as if I’m living in farm country. I like that when I take Nikki, possibly the world’s cutest dog, to her obedience training, it’s in a grange. I almost find it charming that the drivers here feel that putting on their turn signal is enough to change lanes, that actually looking is not required. I really, really like that I’m about fifteen minutes from the Chateau St. Michelle winery. I like the rain and the green. There’s not a lot of green in L.A.

Seattle works for me. I’m happy to be here and I hope they’re happy to have me.

So what's it like where you live??

11 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Susan, great post. YOu almost make me want to move to Seattle. I ove those logical street layouts. And the coffee huts sound kewl.

Here, where the wind comes whistlin' down the plains we have little huts in parking lots, as well. My fave is "Paw-Paw's dog house," where you can get a really good hot dog at a very reasonable price. Oh, and we have Starbucks as well. A nice one right in Albertson's. I can get my Venti latte with one Splenda fix and get my groceries at the same time.

Hardly one on every corner, however...

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Sheesh. I mean, I *love* those logical street layouts.

 
At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOW DOES NIKKI, ABOSLUTELY THE WORLDS CUTEST DOG, FEEL ABOUT SEATTLE? DO YOUR CATS GET TO GO OUTSIDE AT ALL? I LOVE IT UP THERE AND JUST A BIT OF TRIVIA, MY GREAT GRANDFATHERS FAMILY FOUNDED EVERETT, WASH., AND THE WORST THING ABOUT THAT IS I HAVE NEVER SEEN IT LOL.

MCM

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

Seattle sounds sooo wonderful. Here in Venice Beach, those little parking lot huts are housing for the homeless.

And did you write about Seattle to make Maureen insanely jealous or was that just a fun side effect? *g*

Oh, and clearly the best part of living where you live is being 15 minutes from Chateau St. Michelle!! Now I'm insanely jealous, too!!

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Well, Kate, it WORKED!! All that talk of trees, not to mention RAIN really makes me jealous...grumble.

Ah, and yes, coffee huts with graffiti on them. Sniffle. You can tell when it's Fall because the gang bangers start using orange paint!

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

**You can tell when it's Fall because the gang bangers start using orange paint!**

LOLOL.....yep, gotta love SoCal!!

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Ah Kate....Fall is so lovely around here. The orange paint, the hot Santa Ana winds...just makes you feel like you're in a Currier and Ives painting!

And hey mom!! MCM(in case the rest of you don't know, is what Chris named my mom....Maureen's Cool Mom)

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Susan Mallery said...

The cats don't go outside. They never have. They are a little nervous about "the big room" as we call the great outdoors!

Nikki, possibly the world's cutest dog, loves a good walk anywhere. Except she's not real keen on the rain. She keeps spinning to find out who's touching her butt.

She's gonna have to get over that!

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

Oh, Susan! It sounds as if you're settling in Seattle splendiferously. (If you'll excuse the alliteration.)

I'm in SoCal too, of course, but south of Kate and Maureen in San Diego. It's cool here today (in the seventies) with no Santa Ana winds. (For those who don't know, the Santa Ana winds blow off the desert and make it HOT. Often cause of fanning our wildfires.)

I really am skittish about fires since October 2003 when we had to go out to the in-laws' house to help them evacuate. I felt the heat of the fire on my face as it rolled over the hill toward us... Eeek! Scare myself just thinking about it.

So yeah, we could use some of that Seattle rain.

 
At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Jill said...

Oh, I love Seattle! But then again, I love the rain, the cold. Hope you are very happy there.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Marilyn Shoemaker said...

Susan, I've said this before but I'll say it again, welcome to The Emerald City. I'm sitting here this a.m. looking out at Puget Sound and the bright sunny day and thanking the man upstairs for this lovely city where I was born and raised, Seattle! You're going to just love it here, coffee, rain, trees and all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home