Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Have you seen the latest....

Posted by Susan

I happen to love technology. I’m not always good at it, but I love it. So many things are easier now. My phone actually tells me who is calling. In theory, I can listen to the electronic voice mangling names and then either pick up or not, depending on the caller. In truth, if I’m working, I lunge for the phone, grateful for any interruption, but the option is there.

I went to the post office yesterday to mail a package. Rather than face an incredibly long line and wait, I was able to use a machine to weigh my package and print out postage in about a minute. At the grocery store I adore the self serve check out stations. I don’t use them often, but if it’s early and I’m not feeling social, or I’m afraid a close up look at my morning face could frighten someone, I’ll zip through them and escape without having to speak a word!

I love my ipod nano. Music inspires my writing. I have an impressive CD collection, but I really only like one or two songs from each CD. An afternoon with the stack of CDs, the nano and my computer transferred all favorite songs onto a device about the size of a credit card. I can listen whenever!! I also download books onto my nano, so when Nikki, possibly the world’s cutest dog, and I walk, I listen to books.

I love that I can find out anything on the Internet. I can look up the closest Hallmark store and even get a map. I love shopping on line. It’s fun, it’s fast, it’s darned easy. QVC is a personal favorite.

I know this is really bad, but I love computer games. They’re darkly evil inventions that suck time from my day, but I love them.

I desperately want a Palm Pilot. I can’t really justify getting one. I work at home—I don’t really have a lot of meetings. Even if I call one, there’s usually only me and the dog attending. The cats aren’t into meetings. But Palm Pilots are so cool. I’m also lusting after a Blackberry. Again, I have no earthly use for it and have managed to resist.

I know there are down sides to technology and that change is challenging sometimes, but I think the good outweighs the bad.

So do you love technology?

5 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Susan, Technology and I have a love/hate relationship. I love it, it hates me. =)

Those self checkout lines at the grocery store? The machine always yells at me, so I try to slink past without being seen now.

I love the internet, but still on dialup, which is probably a good thing. If it wasn't so frustratingly slow, I might spend even MORE time not working.

And I am of course, addicted to Bespelled.

So yeah, I guess technology is our friend after all

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Technology? Love it. Truly. Not very good it at, either. And since I work at home, I rarely even use my cell phone. Friends and family change their phone numbers and I have to get out the manual to relearn how change and store them. ARgh.

And I don't know how I ever wrote a book before I had high-speed internet. As you said, Susan, the world's info at my fingertips...

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

I'm with you, Susan! Love technology. About once a week I'll look over at my husband and say, "Dang, aint't it wonderful?" I'll have just paid a bill, found the answer to some picky research question, or done some other chore/errand/shopping that used to take so much more time.

We just now have Caller ID and I really, really like it.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Oh, and what about DVR/TIVOS? Never have to miss a favorite program again. And it's so user-friendly. In all the years we had video recorders, I could never figure out how to program the dang things. I'd always end up recording nothing--or the wrong thing.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

I love the internet a little too much. I love that I can pay bills online. I love DSL. I love voice activation on my cell phone.

I'm hoping for an IPOD for Christmas (unless I win one in the raffle next month at OCC). Donny's getting the DVR for Christmas--even though he's perfectly happy without television. It's really for me. Duh!

But by far the most impressive technological advance ever, and the number one item on my Christmas list, is the Roomba! I need an automatic vacuum cleaning robot!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home