Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Happily Ever After


posted by Maureen

That’s what it’s all about, right? It’s why we write what we write. Read what we read. It always comes down to the Happily Ever After.

Well, a year ago, I watched Happily Ever After up close and personal. This is a picture of my daughter and her husband at their wedding last summer. Gorgeous, yes?

For eight months before that picture though, there were a zillion or so tiny details to see to. Sarah and I did most of it and if I’m going to be honest, she did most of that. The girl is so organized, it’s inspiring to watch—and a little baffling to me. Actually, she’s organized enough that she probably should have been Susan’s daughter. (But I’m not giving her up!)

Sarah had lists and master lists of all her lists. My main function was to sign checks, on which I became quite the expert! We hunted up and down the coast of Orange and LA counties to find the perfect setting for the wedding and ended up in Laguna Beach. Of course, there were a couple of hitches—one being that they changed caterers on us halfway through the planning. And then one happy day, we showed up to take another look at the site a month after heavy rains—only to discover that we’d lost about six feet of reception space to a landslide!

But in the end, when all was said and done, the lists, the worries, the complications and the last minute emergencies all boiled in together to make for a truly fabulous party!

It was a celebration of all the things I love to write about. Hope and love and plans for the future. And being in on the ground floor of a Happily Ever After is a memory I wouldn’t trade for anything.

14 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh Maureen, what a stunning picture! And yes, your duaghter is gorgeous and she looks like you. I could look at that picture all day--just beautiful.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Thanks, Jen! She's WAY prettier!!! Thinking about using Sarah for my author photo! A stand in, so to speak......

But that is my favorite pic of the wedding!

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Susan Mallery said...

Love the picture--and the happily ever after ending. They always get me. I love standing in line at the movies and hearing the teenage boy behind me whisper "I love you" to his girlfriend. I love those sappy commercials that make me cry. This morning I saw part of an interview with Steve Irwin's widow, Terri, saying that it was worth it and knowing how it would end, she would do it all again.

I think our happily ever after endings are really endings, but beginnings.

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Oh, Maureen. Just beautiful. And so romantic. I mean, even the silvery sunset says Happily Ever After.

And it's good to have a gorgeous and organized daughter. If I had one, I'd want her to be just like Sarah!

Chris

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Susan, you're so right. I too cry at all the sappy commercials. And the Christmas songs can get me, too! And I do think you're right about Happy Endings really being a Happy Beginning.....

Chris, it really was so beautiful.. and Sarah is a fabulous daughter!

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Oh yeah!! If you click on the picture, you can see it full size and just how gorgeous my girl is...
Not that I'm bragging or anything!

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

I loved your story and it really is the most gorgeous picture and yes, Sarah looks like you!

Oh, and let's not ignore Dan! What a cutie! Love the shaved head. Is it just me or is that an amazingly sex-ay look on the right man???

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Kate...you're right. Dan is gorgeous, too. Plus, he's a big sweetie! And hey, he's nuts about my baby, so he's gold with me!

And I really like the shaved head look......although, when Sarah first started dating him, I said something about it must be easy being bald and he said, "Not bald. Shaved."

Whoops!

 
At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Jill said...

Oh, what a gorgeous pic!!! I'm so happy for her, and for you!! I'm with Susan, the happy ever after. Lots of hugs!!!

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Thanks, Jill! It really was a fun day......

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

Oh, yes! Clicked on the photo and it's even more beautiful bigger. The brides these days are amazing. I threw a bridal shower recently and the bride and her friends so impressed me with their organization. They knew exactly what to do.

And yes, Sarah looks a lot like her mom!

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Thanks, Christie! and I know just what you mean about the organization. I don't remember having a clue what was going on when I got married!!

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Gillian Doyle said...

Maureen,

What a beautiful couple! And such a breathtaking setting! Where is that place?

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

HI Gillian!!! Thanks for stopping by....

The setting was Occasions at Laguna Village. It's right on the cliff, with the beach and ocean directly beneath you and it really is amazing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home