Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Field (or closet) of Dreams

Posted by Susan

I will start by saying I understand that we are all defined by who we are rather than what we have. That a spiritual connection with each other and our planet is a goal to which we should all aspire. That it is better to give than receive. That in the end, the material world will fade away and…

I can’t stand it. I have a new closet!! Yes, there were pictures, but blogger wouldn't load them. Anyway...

I know, I know, a new closet is probably a big yawn for some of you, but for me this is a little slice of heaven. I love being organized. I love having folders and boxes and baskets where things sit all neat and tidy. The biggest problem I have with decorating is all the “accent” pieces they want to put everywhere. To me, a clean, flat surface is a thing of beauty.

Whenever I finish a book, I take a couple of hours to celebrate. I clean off my desk. As I work, stuff piles up all around my work space until my massive desk is covered and I’m reduced to writing checks in a six inch square of clear space. So I go through everything. Toss, shred, file, mock, whatever. And then my desk is clear and I dust and I’m incredibly happy.

So to have a professionally designed closet in my master bedroom is an experience that defies description. It is bliss. Total, soul-stirring bliss.

I watched Spencer, my fabulous installer, at work. I was calm, relaxed. I felt that to show my level of excitement would be to frighten the man and that’s hardly fair. How he could know what that afternoon of assembly meant to me? I watched the pieces go together, like a wood puzzle. He took his time. He made sure everything was level. Then he cleaned off all the surfaces and left me alone with the beauty of my closet.

I stood in the doorway and just stared at the shelves, the hanging racks, the drawers. It was so amazing. I warned my husband not to even think about putting anything in the closet. I would organize it and then show him where his things were. But for 24 hours, it stood empty. A perfect shrine to being organized.

It was a time of unrealized potential. I saw all the closet would be. I knew the clothes would fit, that there would be plenty of room for my shoes and purses. I imagined myself folding sweaters, hanging blouses on the new wooden hangers I’d bought in anticipation of the event. It was beautiful. It was all I wanted it to be.

Now the closet it full and it works exactly as I hoped it would. I put all my purses together on one shelf and have realized that if I ever try to buy yet another leather handbag, someone needs to slap me really, really hard.

Organization is my guilty pleasure…well, organization and chocolate. What are yours?

8 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Chocolate, of course.

And shopping. Now, there's the ultimate Zen experience. I can shop for hours and not buy a thing. I try not to do that. I feel that's wrong and selfish and the salespeople should be suitably rewarded for dealing with me...by my buying great stuff.

Oh, yeah!

I think I'm having a numinous experience just composing this comment...

And Susan, buy another purse. One should have too many purses. As well as too many shoes...

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Chocolate, of course.... but my guilty pleasure is a rainy day and a new book!!

Susan, I feel your bliss. And I'm feeling cheated that I didn't get to see those pics! So maybe try again later and post twice today!!

As a disorganized person, I can't really relate to the thrill of everything in its place, but I can celebrate for my friend!

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Christie Ridgway said...

I am SO jealous! But I think I'd be afraid to show our master closet to an organizer. I think they'd tell me, "Uh, lady, you need a whole other room for all that stuff."

But pix, please! Please! I shall live vicariously and pretend my mess is just as beautiful as your lovely space.

Christie

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Susan Mallery said...

I should have been more specific on the purse front. They're all black!! I need another color.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Christyne Butler said...

Love the pictures Susan...so green with jealousy here! What I wouldn't give for a space like that!! I live in a 106 year old house but thankfully "I" have two closets in the master bedroom - and 1/3 of one I allow my hubby to hang his stuff in. LOL!

Guilty pleasure? Oh, the list is so long! Hmmm...I go with two. First, chocolate, of course. But nothing fancy, as much as my friends love Godiva and Lint's I prefer Hershey's -- plain and simple.

Second, I love those empty journals! I must have over three dozen, in a variety of styles, colors and sizes. I buy them with the best of intentions of filling them but I rarely do.

I just love seeing them on my bookshelves, pages so clean, crisp and ready to be filled. I guess it's the promise, the hope...the expection that keeps me bringing them home!

Christyne

 
At 6:51 AM, Anonymous Kim said...

Guilty pleasures! HMMMMM....

Obviously chocolate, books...getting a pedicure and my nails done.

Oh, how I wish that organization was my guilty pleasure. I am "SUPER" organized at the office, not so much at home. I know where it is, but you wouldn't be able to find it.

Heaven help my husband if something happens to me. My advice is to take the insurance money and sell the house as is. LOL

Have a wonderful Friday ladies.

Kim

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

I'll go with chocolate, too, but organizing my closet is a close second. Yeah, right!

It's my dream to have the California Closets man show up and transform my life--I mean, my closet! Could you send Spencer down here please?

And good grief, of course you need another purse. Maybe something in an off-black!

 
At 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,nice blog!!! Won't you check out this website I found where you can
make a little extra on the side... wink wink ;) Visit Our Site

 

Post a Comment

<< Home