Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Dear Abby...Did She Blunder??

Posted by Maureen

The weekends are free for alls here on DD...any one of us can post about well, anything we want to. So, thought I'd bring this up.

Yesterday, in Dear Abby's column, there was a letter from someone concerned about her 14 year old daughter's love of romance novels. Now I'm all for a mom who's looking out for her kid. There just aren't enough concerned parents out there, you know? What I thought was sad, was Abby's response. Here it is in part..."Some might argue that the idealized depiction of romance, and women being 'rescued' by powerful, wealthy men, is more worrisome than the sex and eroticism. However, if you are raising your daughter to respect feminist principles, I don't think you have anything to worry about."

For me, I thought about writing in to Dear Abby and telling her that maybe she should read a modern romance novel. Then she'd see that our books are all about the empowerment of women. That more often than not, the heroine is rescuing the hero. But I figured thousands of romance writers would be doing that, so why get lost in the crush??

What do you think? Should we all take Dear Abby to task? Or should we just send her some books and tell her Happy Reading???

11 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Cliche anyone??? Besides, any mom writing to Dear Abby for advice on raising their child needs to be book-slapped.

Just my always humble opinion, LOL!

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

Hey, that's a really good point, Jen!

And at least that woman's daughter likes to read, which is more than you can say about a lot of kids.

Getting back to Abby, she apparently feels it's fine to give advice on a topic about which she knows nothing. Oh, but don't get me started.

Way to go, Maureen, getting all controversial on a Sunday. We'll get letters! LOL

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Love this, Maureen. Excellent question and I would say...nope. Don't take her to task. Because, hey, really, you already have. Right here. But hmm. Jennifer has an idea.

Book-slapped. Oh, yeah!

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Yep, Chris....I think Jen's on to something there. Book-Slapped should really be the punishment here.

Kate, so agree. Clearly ol' Abby hasn't picked up a romance in twenty years. In this same column, she admits her mom's housekeeper used to loan her "True Romance Magazines"...I'm thinking that's the last time she read a romance...

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Louise said...

Maureen, thank you thank you thank you!!!! I'm so glad you're talking about this. I had no idea about this, but you'd better believe I'm going to blog about it.

Louise :)

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

LOL, Louise! Happy to help!! I'm gonna go read about it on YOUR blog!!

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger LuAnn McLane said...

Hey Maureen, your blog was mentioned on my reader/writerloop and I had to pop over and see what was being said about this topic.

While it certainly is obvious that Dear Abby hasn't picked up a romance in ages at least she said that the mom shouldn't be concerned...yikes like romance novels could hurt her daughter.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Hey Luann--

Which loop was it mentioned on?? Maybe I'll go see what they had to say about it!

I know, Abby didn't really slam us, it's just I expected more from her, somehow! LOL

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Shiloh Walker said...

Send her some books. :o)

 
At 8:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maureen - I couldn't believe it when I read her response. Although, I can see the issue coming up - I think there are two points - one is the sex too much - a valid point, what type of books is your daughter reading- if they are too sexy, try and find ones that are less so (there are tons of types of romance from blazes to bombshells), even better if she really likes those ones, how about talking with her about what she likes in them. If it is just that same old - why is she reading those types of books, be glad that she is reading and try some of her books so you can talk with her.

Cady

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Shiloh--(Great name, by the way), a friend of mine, Louise Ahern over at the writersvibe.com suggested the same thing. Not a bad idea and I wonder how many books Abby's going to get!!

Cady--I do agree. I didn't like to censor what my kids read, but I did keep up with it. And there are so many different types of romances...My daughter was reading them when she was fifteen, but we always talked about the books, too. Oh, and Sarah grew up to be quite the feminist!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home