Deadline Diaries

Five Romance writers tell all.

Monday, August 28, 2006

Worldus Interruptus

Posted by Maureen

Really nice to be here with my pals. And Kate and Chris have both been so entertaining, I’m feeling the pressure, here! Let me just adjust my tiara and we’ll get started.

I’m Maureen Child and Chris was right, I’ve written more than 90 books. Historicals, paranormals, contemporary single titles and Silhouette Desires. Right now, I’m writing series romance for Desire, series paranormal for Silhouette’s new Nocturne line and single title paranormals for NAL.

Actually, this weekend, I only had 15 pages to go on the final polish of my latest Nocturne, Nevermore (Feb. 07). I was soooo close I could taste it. I could see the neatly labeled FedEx envelope, hear the solid thunk the manuscript makes when it hits the drop off chute and actually see my latest book strapped into its seat on the plane to Manhattan! (I hate to think of it tossed into a corner in the cargo hold). Anyway, the end was nigh.

Then I suffered Worldus Interruptus. The phone wouldn’t stop ringing. And, like a rabid dog lunging for a tasty thigh bone, I have to react to a ringing phone. It’s impossible to ignore. I’ve tried. It ain’t pretty.

Now, normally, when the phone rings and I’m trying to squeeze out just the right word from an overworked brain, I do a happy dance as I answer the phone. But this time, I really wanted to be finished.

But Worldus Interruptus has no consideration. Life walks in, shakes everything up and demands I vacuum because my son and his new girlfriend are coming for dinner! And hey, maybe a trip to the grocery store would be a good idea, too. And then my daughter calls because her Nana is making her nuts all of a sudden and I have to explain that it’s not hereditary and she’ll probably be okay. And then my husband offers to help, but can’t find anything in the house we’ve lived in for YEARS. Then my mom emails me a message that only says DON'T ANSWER PHONES!!! So I had to call her and find out what time the men in white coats were coming to get her...

So, the book had to wait an extra day to be finished because I finally caved and surrendered to LIFE—if you can’t beat it, join it.

Maureen

12 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

So funny! And much too true, Maureen ARgh. Excuse me. I think I hear the phone ringing...

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Ah, Chris!! See?? I knew it wasn't just me with the telephonitis!!

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

Maureen!! Glad you got that tiara on straight! Don't want any cock-eyed crowns around here...

Worldus Interruptus?? Good one! But it's not just one phone ringing, you've gotta have your cell phone on, too, right? In case I call you, right??

Kate Interruptus

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Susan Mallery said...

My excuse for not writing is I went to the mall and bought a fabulous pair of dark wash boot cut jeans...or that was the plan. Apparently I took *the wrong pair* up to the counter because the ones on my bed aren't at all what I wanted. And now I have to haul my butt back to the mall and get the right ones.

Apparently I don't need to phone to ring to not finish my (*%^$ pages!

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Hey, Kate!! Of COURSE the cell phone is always on!!! Kate Interruptus is always welcome!

Susan...hope the jeans were worth the second trip to the mall! LOL What would that be?? Mallus Interruptus??

 
At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THIS IS A GOOD ONE, VERY FUNNY AND I WAS GLAD TO SEE I WAS INCLUDED,
EVEN THOUGH YOU THINK I AM CRAZY LOL.

MOM

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

Maureen, your mom is just too cool! LOL

Kate

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Kate, you're right!! And Mom... you ARE nuts!! That's where I got it!!

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Maureen's mom is here! I love it. Call Maureen. Now...

Mwahaha

And I'm lovin' the whole "Interruptus" lexicon. I'm saving the cool made up words, guys. Eventually, we'll have a DD Dictionary. What, me, with delusions of grandeur????

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Maureen, sometimes I worry that your tiara might be a little too tight...

Congratulations on finishing the book!

This is a fun blog :-)

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Maureen Child said...

Chris......Oooh! a DD dictionary. That would be the DDD, yes????

Jen..can tiaras EVER be too tight? mwhahahahaha

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Yes, Maureen. The DDD, indeed!

And no, one's tiara can't be too tight--well, if one has one, that is. Or wait. Is that shoes...?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home